Tuesday, July 25, 2017

July 25 – “To the hospital with Siri”

Ah, Monday.  Always the big workday of the week for me.  That’s when I get out my brand new list for the week and start plodding through the things that come already printed, the things that have to happen every single week, fifty-two weeks a year.  And if we are by some freak chance on vacation or if something pressing comes up … the Monday list still must be done.

So, after a three miler with Chris and the rest of the morning at the computer, I headed out for my Monday exception.  This time it was a hospital visit up in Texas at the Clear Lake Kindred Hospital.  There were actually two patients I needed to see.  One was Todd, the guy we have been praying for a long time now.  He’s the one who was originally told he had kidney stones when actually his appendix was about to rupture.  It did.  He ended up septic and has been through a horrendous month or so.  The other patient was a retired fire fighter I was asked to visit by the retired association’s president.  Danny had some extremely serious cancer surgery and has been in the hospital for two months now. 

I followed the directions given to me by Old Faithful, Google Siri.  Not always a great idea, I know.  But it is usually an adventure, if nothing else.  Sure enough, she sent me on a wild goose chase.  I ended up at a Kindred facility, all right, but it was not the right one.  She even had me pass by the place and make a totally unnecessary, wild and crazy U-turn to get there.  Fortunately the receptionist knew where another facility was, and even called ahead for me to make sure it was the right place.  And I enjoyed watching her try to give directions.  She leaned and twisted and pointed and did all manner of gyrations so I would certainly be able to picture where she was leading me.  I think Google might consider hiring her if they ever decide to do a visual version of the Google Siri voice. 

I finally found the right place, though, and went in first to see Todd.  He was in much better shape than the last time I saw him, but he obviously has a lot of physical therapy ahead of him.  He was most excited about being allowed to have ice chips and about the prospect of have a smaller trach put in that will enable him to eat actual food.  After prayer I headed back to the elevators to go see Danny.  A gentleman joined me as we pushed the “up” button.  He was carrying a New Testament, so I figured he was headed to make a visit as well.  We talked briefly, and as we exited I let him lead the way.  I had a hunch we might be going in the same direction.  Sure enough, he went to the same room, so we paused at the door and kind of formalized our elevator introductions.  He was a member of the Sunday School class of the guy who asked me to make the visit.  So we joined forces and made the visit together.  Danny seemed genuinely glad to have some company.  He was pining about not being able to eat real food as well.  He did give kudos to his daughter and ex-wife for all the help they have been to him.  In fact he was ready to put his ex-wife up for sainthood.  I was glad to hear he had that kind of family support.  Physically he has a really long and difficult recovery ahead of him.  He did assure us that he was born again, though.  So he is ready for whatever comes next. 

Oh, when I got home there was a guy taking measurements out on 40 Steps (the lot next door).  Chris couldn’t stand it, so she asked him what was going on.  He said the plan is to start building sometime today.  Long sigh here. 

1 Peter 1:6-7 says, “In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.  These have come so that your faith — of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire — may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.”


Father, be with Todd and Danny.  They both will really be needing you over the next few months in particular.  Amen.

No comments: