Thursday, December 22, 2016

December 22 – “Ezra Kelley Vaughan”

Well, we finally got the official call to arms.  Kel and Christina left in the morning yesterday to go to a regular doctor’s appointment.  On a strong hunch, though, they took along their overnight bags just in case.  I had to meet the bug guy at church, have a quick staff meeting, and then make some stuffed animal deliveries to three fire stations.  So Chris drove up to LaMarque to hang out with the other four Vaughan kids until we heard something from their Mom and Dad.  And hear something we did.  After checking out Christina and the baby, they decided that it was time for this little guy to make his appearance.  Chris got word to me, so after my deliveries, I headed up to LaMarque to see what help I could be. 

As the afternoon progressed it became evident that this little guy was not going to be easy on us.  Chris was pacing and texting, so I finally told her to get on up to Houston so she could offer whatever medical advice she could, and so she could be the Mom in the delivery room, since Christina’s Mom couldn’t make it.  I got left behind to look after the troops.  All 17 or 18 of them.  I’m pretty sure that’s how many were there.  I rarely pay a lot of attention to Mom and Dad rules.  Well, that’s not true.  I generally take their rules and adapt them to make the best of the situation.  I think they were supposed to have limited media time, so they didn’t play any video games, but it just so happened that The Santa Clause came on TV.  We watched it.  Funny stuff. 

After a FaceTime goodnight call from Mom and Dad, Noa succumbed fairly quickly to the call of the proverbial Sandman.  Jachin and Micah went to their rooms and settled in reading.  Not so much Josiah, though.  He got in his head that he wanted Mommy and Daddy and absolutely nothing would console him.  I finally had him come downstairs with me so the other boys could get some sleep.  Still crying.  I texted Chris to get some pointers, and she suggested food.  Sounded good, so I asked if he was hungry.  Instantly the tears stopped.  “Yes.”  Aha.  I followed up with, “Do you want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?”  “No,” was his abrupt reply.  And then I asked “the Question” – the one you never ask a distraught six-year-old.  “Then what do you want to eat?”  There it was.  Open-ended.  No restrictions.  His little mind raced.  And then he blurted out, “I want hot chocolate.”  Now it was ten p.m.  Well past his bedtime.  Sugary beverages were not on the approved list.  So I suggested, “How about a cheese stick?”  That’s what he ended up eating for supper, so I knew he liked them.  But not at ten p.m.  Oh, no.  At ten p.m. the food of choice is … “I pick ice cream.”  Needless to say, things weren’t going well for either of us.  He finally picked an apple, the perfect compromise food.  Then another.  He finally settled in next to me on the couch and started talking.  Non-stop talking.  After a good ten minutes the sound slowly started to fade out until he finally just sat there, looking at the Christmas tree lights.  He did get up once to grab a blanket.  A snowflake blanket.  Then he gradually eased down onto his pillow.  And then he was gone.

I tried to settle in as well, but I hadn’t anticipated not being back at home.  I didn’t have my medication for nerve pain, so it was a fitful night at best.  At least until around 1:05 a.m.  That’s when I got a text from Chris.  He was here.  And as she expanded the details I learned that the youngster had a really tough time of it getting out into the world.  Apparently his shoulder got a little stuck.  Well, a lot stuck.  They called in all sorts of support personnel, and it was a scary few moments before he finally managed to jostle free with the help from a dozen or so new found hospital friends.  The pediatrician checked hi out from head to toe, though, and he was just fine.  Just a not-so-simple case of linebacker’s shoulder. 

Later on this morning we gathered up all the siblings and took them to the hospital to meet their new baby brother.  And, as has been their family custom, the siblings were the first to hear the baby’s name.  Josiah was convinced it would be Abednigo.  But sadly, he was wrong.  They all gathered around him with obvious love in their eyes and anticipation in their hearts.  And finally, Mom and Dad introduced them to young Ezra Kelley Vaughan.  8 pounds, 3 ounces.  21 and a half inches long.  Assuming all goes well, he will head home on Christmas Eve.  Meanwhile Nana and DadDad are the proud surrogate parents of four kids for a few nights.  Guess we’ll be heading to the grocery store tomorrow.

Ephesians 6:23-24 says, “Peace to the brothers, and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love.”


Father, thank you for that precious little baby.  May he grow to appreciate you through the influence of his parents and brothers and sister.  Amen.

No comments: