Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 11 – “Bethlehem Street Market Report”

One more Bethlehem Street Market is in the books.  After long months of planning and preparing (I know because I live with the event coordinator for this particular extravaganza), everything seemed to come together and make for a success on all levels. 

A large team of Seasiders in our signature blue t-shirts (with long sleeves or sweatshirts underneath – it was really cold) gathered to make this day happen.  How?  Directing traffic, handing out gift bags (with a New Testament inside, among other things), setting up tables, posting signs, helping vendors, working booths. The Sweet Shoppe and Food Court - run by a team of Seaside’s own, of course - did especially well.  We ran out of Ed’s Awesome Brisket and also the chicken noodle soup.  In fact we had so much participation in terms of people providing soups that we are able to have a Soup Sunday today and invite people to join us after church for lunch.  We sold a lot of the honey from the used-to-be on-site bee hive, and we still have numerous jars of honeycomb left for sale.  We’re hoping to recoup some of the cost of the removal.  The vendors seemed to be selling stuff throughout the day.  We didn’t get to set up the bounce house for the kids due to the high winds, but, being kids, they found a way to enjoy themselves out on the playground. 

On an entirely different level, several local families expressed a plan to attend Seaside.  We’ll be looking for them this morning.  One attender said they were “impressed by how all the blue shirts seem to really care for each other and get along.  This must be a good church.”  I talked to one of the vendors who had recently had open heart surgery.  I shared the gospel with him, and his response was, “Oh, I’ve given myself to him.”  And he proceeded to share with me a beautiful tale of his near death experience.  He remembers a lot of light, and a door, “like that light fixture up there.  As I got closer to it, I felt like light.  Then suddenly, the door closed and I was back here.”  It was a special moment for me to hear that.  I like to think that I would give myself to Him after an experience like that as well.   I was also able to share the gospel with another guy who approached me because he saw the fire department hat I was wearing.  He had been a fire fighter at one point and was hoping to find a comrade in arms.  He told me he found the Lord at his absolute lowest point.  Sadly, that’s how it often happens.  We have to get so far down that the only possible way to look is up.  And there He is.  Waiting with open arms.

You know, I don’t know how much money we made for local missions.  Kind of beside the point.  There was a great community response.  The vendors want to come back next year.  People saw Seasiders loving each other and they made The Jump.  They attributed it to us being God’s disciples.  Sounds awfully familiar …

John 13:35 says, “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”


Father, thank you for all the Seasiders who worked so hard to put this event together.  Thank you for the chance to meet and hear from those guys who have met you in drastically different ways.  Amen.

No comments: