Monday, December 19, 2016

December 19 – “37”

Well, I have to say … it is cold on the Island.  No, really cold.  As in 37 degrees cold.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.  It is just not supposed to get that cold on a tropical island paradise.  We even discussed whether or not to wrap up our pipes last night.  We decided that the touted freeze would never make it to the Island this time.  Thankfully, we were at least correct about that much.  But as I understand it, the high for the day is supposed to be around 48.  That’s just not right. 

We had a pretty good crowd at church Sunday.  Never know about that during any holiday season.  Everyone was talking about their Christmas plans.  Numerous ones were heading out of town to be with family.  It was nice to see the joy on their faces as they talked about seeing sons and daughters and grandkids and parents.  Oh, I think there will be enough of them sticking around for our Christmas Eve service to be well-attended.  And some of them even promised to come back on Christmas morning.  It’s very different for the Seasiders to have a Christmas Day service, but we have to worship on Sunday, after all. 

Brings back memories for me, though.  Memories of being an acolyte at Grace Episcopal Church here on the Island.  We would have midnight mass on Christmas Eve, always a key service to be involved in.  Then we would wake up early, of course - sometimes really early if Dad had to go into work – and open Christmas presents.  And after an hour or two of playing with whatever toys we received, it was off to church again for the Christmas Day service.  It did help preparation time that we lived literally across the street from the church.  Never had to worry about that drive time.  Although I’m sure it was hard enough for Mom to get three youngsters all dressed up in their Sunday-go-to-meeting duds.  Not that I ever gave her a hard time.  I’m sure it was my brothers’ fault.  Whatever it was.  It wasn’t me.  I’m totally innocent.

I just found out that another of the fire fighters had a baby (well, his wife had the baby).  I’ll add this little one to my list of baby Bibles that I have to deliver.  Well, after I find out the proper spelling of his name.  with a last name like Norregaard, there are any number of ways they could be spelling Finn.  I’ll touch base with them soon.  I also have to deliver the six bags of stuffed animals that Lifeway Christian Store donated to the fire department.  The guys carry a few with them to give to children who may be involved when they go on calls, whether it be for fires or car wrecks or medical situations.  A little love from one of those stuffed buddies can go a long way toward calming a stressed out little one.  Thank you Lifeway. 

Ephesians 6:12 says, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”


Father, help those folks who have to be out in this cold to stay as warm as they can.  Warm their hearts from the inside out.  Amen.

No comments: