Saturday, December 17, 2016

December 17 – “Box Lunch”

A horribly dreadful thing happened yesterday.  It was so difficult that I have a hard time thinking about it without breaking out in a cold sweat.  To start things off, we made the fateful decision to leave the Island.  That’s right.  A trek into Texas was in the books.  But that wasn’t the worst of it.  I have survived many a Texas Trip over the last 20 years.  But this one had a frightening twist to it.  We went to … The Mall.  Can you believe it?  The Mall.  I haven’t been to one of those things in … in … well, I honestly cannot remember the last time I went to one.  So why in the world would we go to a mall – any mall – and why would we do it the week before Christmas?

Well, the answer to the “why” question is a simple one.  We had to pick up the final piece to a very special thirteen-year-old birthday present for our oldest grandson Jachin.  He received part of it back on his birthday in early December.  I can’t say what it is since we haven’t presented it to him yet, but the present, taken together, represents his attaining the rite of passage into semi-manhood (Translation: He’s a teenager).  I suppose that speaks to the “when” part of the question as well.  He was born in December.  Like his baby brother will be … if he ever decides to get born.  We are still waiting. 

Once there we decided to make the circle and see what the mall had to offer these days.  One place in particular had been recommended to us.  In fact, I had to text our source (Cory) to get the name of the place.  Here’s the gist of that conversation:
Me: “What was the name of that mall store you recommended?  Yep.  I’m headed to the mall.  Aaaargh!”
Cory: “Lol.  It’s called Box Lunch.” ( I still say, what kind of name is that for a store that doesn’t sell food?)
Me: “Thanks.”
Me: “Pray for meeeeeeee”
Cory: “Lol.  I will.  I was there last weekend and it was not fun.  Good luck.”
Me: “Aaaargh.  Not helping.”
Cory: “What I meant to say was that it was the most fun I’ve had in a long time.”
Me: Ah, your poor, poor life.”
Cory: “Lol.”

And there you have it.  At least I helped him to have a chuckle out of my misery.  But you know what?  It really wasn’t all that bad.  We got there early enough that we found a parking place with no problem.  I had the love of my life at my side.  We picked up what we needed for Jachin.  And we browsed through a seasonal store called It’Sugar.  Candy of every array and size you can think of.  Even Harry Potter goodies.  Chris asked if they were related to the store of a similar name in Waco, but the clerk didn’t know.  We didn’t stay long in there.  We were both hungry.  Not a good time to be in a store that specializes in sweets. 

From the mall we went to Olive Garden for lunch.  Actually we were within walking distance to the restaurant where we were parked.  Not that we walked.  There were empty spots much closer to the building.  Much better for my aching back and sore neck, don’t you agree?  After lunch we stopped at Lifeway Christian Store.  Kel wasn’t at work, but we have hit it off with the store manager.  Matt came up to us as we browsed and asked if we had room in our car for six bags of stuffed animals.  They wanted to donate them to the fire department to use on the trucks when a child is involved in a call.  We met him around the back of the store at the loading dock and tossed them in.  Six bags.  One for each station.  I detect a fire department run in my early next week future …

Ephesians 6:11 says, “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.”


Father, thank you for expressions of goodwill and for the ability to be a deliverer of those expressions.  Amen.

No comments: