Friday, August 8, 2014

August 8 – “A pause”

I went by the fire department office to pick up those letters to churches about the fire department Kids’ Back to School Bash.  Trish was not in the office, but she communicated with Nora, the Admin Assistant in the fire marshall’s office, so the letters were all printed and ready to go when I arrived.  Pretty impressive teamwork, if I may say so, ladies.  Thank you so much.

From there I went by several of the churches on the list to deliver the letters to the pastors in person if possible.  As it turned out I was only able to actually talk to one of the pastors, and in a few other cases I managed to talk to the church secretaries.  Of course the secretaries are the ones who usually run the place anyway, so it was probably best to talk to them.  Everyone I talked to was really nice and seemed supportive of the event.  Sadly, at most of the places I went to, no one was at home, or at least no one answered the door.  In some cases I might not have discovered the correct door.  A lot of them were fortified pretty well to protect against vandalism and the like.  Sad commentary on the state of the city in that region. 

I finally came back to the house and prepared the remainder of the letters for that old stand-by … mailing.  At least I had addresses for the churches.  I had to run some more copies of the letter, but before long I had them all addressed and stamped and ready to go.  Guess that means a trip to the post office today.  I don’t think our mailman would appreciate 40 extra letters to lug around. 

Here’s a quick Cailyn story to give you a smile today.  A while back Chris was reading Cailyn a story.  Something in the story sparked a memory in Cailyn, so she interrupted and started in with a story of her own.  Chris waited patiently, but soon it became apparent that Cailyn wasn’t going to be finished anytime soon.  When she took a breath Chris jumped in and asked, “Do you want me to keep reading the story?”  Cailyn’s ready answer?  “I want to just push pause.”  Sigh.  This next generation.

Ephesians 3:20-21 says, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”

Father, walk with Trish and her family as they deal with funeral preparations and all the pressures of family coming in.  Thank you for the teamwork within the fire office that makes it possible for her to focus on family.  Amen.

No comments: