Friday, August 1, 2014

August 1 – “The ones that got away”

I guess I’m a day or two behind on my fishing trip report.  It’s such a big deal to me when I get to go, that I have to talk about it at least a little, even when I don’t catch much at all.  I tried out a new place for bait.  Nathan told me about one of the fire fighters’ family that runs a bait shop on 61st street right next to the gas station on Heard’s Lane.  I usually go somewhere on 61st anyway, so it was no problem to give them a try.  Might as well keep it in the family.  The shrimp were a little on the small side, but that probably has more to do with their supplier than them.  The kid that waited on me was very personable, though.  All in all, a pleasant experience.  Give the, a try sometime.

I went wading out in front of WalMart, my personal favorite spot.  Now my reasons may not be very logical.  Number one is that it’s close to home.  Number two is that I can park and not have to pay.  And finally, fishing the beach is all about tidal action anyway, so it doesn’t really matter where you are, as long as the tide is stirring up the bait fish. 

My catch was not spectacular, but it was an exciting day.  Small sand trout were biting all over the place, so I kept some of them for what we affectionately like to call sandy mcnuggets.  Four or five whiting were in the mix as well as three of my favorite delicacies, speckled trout.  The biggest catch of the day was good sized black drum.  Gave me a pretty good fight, and I was excited about the meal he would make.  Until I started cleaning him.  I have cleaned fish with worms before, but this one absolutely was the worst.  He was so full of worms that I thought Chris was going to throw up when I showed her.  She made me stop right there and give him to Nathan for crab bait.  A sad loss, to be sure.

As always I do have a “one that got away” story.  Actually there were two.  The first one I’m pretty sure was a mackerel.  I saw him when he grabbed the bait.  Those nasty teeth didn’t take long to cut through the mine, though.  I have a fairly light test line on my pole right now to make the fighting more fun, and I don’t use a leader, either.  But if I’m going to lose fish like that, I may have to make some changes.  The other one that I lost was, well, I have no idea.  He took the bait with no apparent need for hurry.  Once he had it firmly in his grasp, he decided to head out west for Jamaica Beach.  My tugs had no effect at all.  Neither did the drag on my reel.  He calmly swam away, and I held on for dear life.  He finally changed his mind and decided on his own to go check out the tourists on the Pleasure Pier.  Made me think I was making some headway as he headed right toward me.  I figured out that was just not the case when he passed me by without slowing down.  It was long after that when my line finally gave in to the pressure.  Speculation on that one?  It felt a lot like the jack crevalle I have caught before, or maybe one of those bull reds.  It didn’t have the back and forth motions of a shark though.  Who knows?  That’s the allure of fishing in the surf.  The unknown.  Next time maybe I’ll switch out reels and use some stronger test line. 

Galatians 6:10 says, “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”

Father, as always I thank you for chances to do some fishing.  You have created some amazing things out there.  It is such an exciting way to have a part in providing food for my family.  Sure beats the seafood aisle at WalMart.  Amen.

No comments: