Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 3 – “Sold out”

I was asked a question at the fire department pinning ceremony the other night that I have never been asked before.  After the ceremony ended a lady approached me and asked, “Do you pray good because you are the chaplain, or are you the chaplain because you pray good?”  Now how in the world do you answer something like that?  I told her I thought it had more to do with me being desperate than anything else.  She replied, “It just feels like you know he’s really listening and he’s just … just a friend of yours.”  Well, yes ma’am.  I believe that’s how it’s supposed to work. 

After a few minor and unsuccessful attempts at garage sales, Chris and I tried to go to a movie yesterday.  Well, by unsuccessful I mean we didn’t find anything to buy, so in a sense that could be deemed quite successful.  Several of the people in our home group were meeting at the theater in Texas City to see Guardians of the Galaxy.  That’s the one with the talking raccoon, or rodent of some kind.  Looked like it would be a fun one.  But we never found out.  The people just ahead of us in line bought the last tickets to the showing.  Yep.  Sold out.  I think a few of our folks got in, though.  We met one other guy on our way out, so at least we were not alone.  And the more I think about it, the last time I was in a theater that had been sold out was way back when Jaws first came to the big screen.  We had to sit on the front row.  Not the best perspective for a movie where a giant shark is terrorizing a town.  I can’t begin to imagine the horror of watching a gigantic talking raccoon from that same perspective.  Maybe when it comes out on video …

As a result, after a quick stop at Home Depot and Target (We were basically unsuccessful there as well.  We were looking for some white curtain rods, but as usual, Chris has the exact ones she wants already existing in her mind, so we have to search until someone makes one that matches up.  I did get some of those caramel covered cashews, though.  Good stuff), I spent a quiet evening at home with my wife, watching episodes of Fixer Upper on HGTV and Royal Pains on Netflix.  Very nice.  Guess I'm getting old, huh?

Proverbs 31:10 says, “A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.”

Father, I don’t know anything about the cost of rubies, but I sure wouldn’t trade the wife you blessed me with for anything.  Thanks for the quiet moments with her.  Amen.

No comments: