Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 20 – “Winding up”

Today would have been my Mom’s eighty-eighth birthday.  She didn’t quite make it down here, but I imagine she’s got all the celebrating she can handle where she spends her time now.  Happy Birthday, Mom.  We love you.

Speaking of birthdays, I guess I should close the chapter on the birthday sagas of 2014 around our house.  Chris gave me an interesting present this year.  Along with a big old bag of Cheetos (always a welcome addition to anyone’s palate, I’m sure), she gave me an L-square tool for my wood shop.  Actually, I’m not sure if that’s the right name for it. It is shaped like a letter L.  I know what it is used for – drawing straight lines and marking 90 degree angles.  And my wood shop consists more of an old table, a tool kit given to me after Hurricane Ike, and a plastic tub with my dremel tool and carving knives in it.  We have grand plans to build a work bench to replace the old table, though.  Downloaded them off the internet of course.  It really doesn’t look all that hard to do.  We just have to find the time to go get the materials and get it done.  That would be in between pastoring and chaplaining and honey-do listing.  Should be no problem.  Hey, it’s only August.  Maybe by the end of the year. 

I did get her something besides the exquisite hand-carved letters L and X that I mentioned in an earlier post.  I’m not completely ignorant, after all.  I carved a really small cross that I had designs on turning into a necklace, but it would have required a very tiny o-screw, and they only come in silver.  All of Chris’ jewelry is gold.  I still gave her the little cross, though.  To supplement that, Cailyn and I went shopping the other day.  She helped me pick out another necklace with a really nice Maltese cross.  Several different colors of stones made it quite interesting to look at.  Cailyn knew right away it was the one for Nani, and she wasn’t about to let me choose anything else anyway.  So there you are, Chris.  I sure hope you like it.  And you might as well go ahead and mark it in the will for that one to go to Cailyn. 

So that winds up all the notes I have on birthday week at the Vaughan house.  Thank you to everyone who offered well-wishes through FaceBook and emails and real-live birthday cards that came in the mail.  They were all greatly appreciated.  So on to the next thing … Let’s see … marriage counseling tonight … Eye doc appointment Friday afternoon … Rehearsal Friday evening … Fire department back to school bash Saturday … Wedding Saturday ... Church Sunday …

Colossians 3:17 says, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Father, thank you for a full plate of activities.  Staying busy sure helps keep my mind off of things I can’t do anything about anyway.  Great plan for staying happy.  Amen.

No comments: