Sunday, August 31, 2014

August 31 – “YooHoo. YooHoo.”

We spent an exhausting three days in an antique mall here in Round Rock yesterday.  OK, it was just two or three hours in the morning, but that was one huge place.  Chris found another pot like the ones she uses all the time.  And before I get into trouble, I enjoyed it as well.  I actually found a copy of my favorite Dr. Seuss book of all time, And To Think That I Found It On Mulberry Street.  Great piece of literature there.  It seeks to combine an incredible inspiration to imagination with ultimate respect for authority.  I suppose that book is partially responsible for who I am today.  Sigh.  Nostalgia.  I also picked up a great deal on a case of baseball cards.  Now understand, a case simply means a box of 36 unopened packages of cards, and in this case, from 1990.  Can you imagine how that gum is going to taste now?  I would call that a successful morning.

Now I do have to mention the wedding preparations, I guess.  Yesterday was the rehearsal, after all.  The text I received from the groom informed me that the rehearsal would begin at 4 p.m., and he included the address of where we would be.  We couldn’t meet at the actual venue because of a conflict with another wedding.  We arrived on time, but no one else was there.  Seems they were all still out on the Lake.  We finally found someone who had returned early.  She told us the rehearsal wasn’t supposed to start until 5:30.  Well, there you go.  We drove down to the Lake to look at the water and do some exploring from the comfort of the auto air conditioning.  April and Cailyn finally emerged from the Lake, though, and we gave them a ride back to the place where the wedding party was staying.  The rest of the afternoon was spent waiting and watching the flurry of pandemonium as everyone tried to get ready at once.  At least ten people … and one shower.  It was great fun for us.  Here’s a sample of what we heard.  Not all of it will make sense unless you were there, but I think you will get the sense of … well … craziness:

“So what time ARE we supposed to start?”
“YooHoo.  YooHoo.”
“Gotta get more ice on the kegs.”
“There’s just one shower in this place for everybody?”
“YooHoo.  YooHoo.”

Female voice: “I need a hair dryer.”
Male voice: “I have one you can use.”
Female voice: “I also need a hair straightener, and …”
Male voice: (silence)

“YooHoo.  YooHoo.”
“Almost ready.”
"You look really pretty.”
“Box?  What box?”


“Almost done, honey.”
“Hey, I’m following him.”

“Really … how do I look?”
“Everybody looks fine.”
“That’s not the right answer.  It’s all about me right now.”

“Well, I guess we’re really just waiting on Dani, right?” (Dani’s the bride)
“Is that the box?”

As you can see, it was a pretty typical wedding preparation afternoon.  The rehearsal went just fine, except for the two missing groomsmen and the ring bearer who was too busy to be bothered with hanging out with some boring adults.  I think he’ll be fine at the wedding, though.  As long as we provide him with a nerf gun. 

Psalms 119:76 says, “May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.”

Father, we commit this ceremony tonight to you.  Join us, would you?  Amen.

No comments: