Friday, August 15, 2014

August 15 – “LX”

Chris and all the kids made a cake for my birthday, and they unveiled it after dinner.  Marvelous job, of course.  Yellow cake with chocolate icing.  Oh, and every kind of sprinkle on top that you can imagine.  Not to mention the little letters spelling out “Happy Birthday Daddacl” (That’s not a typo, autocorrect.  They ran out of “D’s.”  Pretty ingenious, don’t you think?)  And Christina brought along one of her signature homemade chocolate pies, as well.  Perfect day for clogging the arteries … fried fish and chocolate. 

Now, I didn’t want Chris to think she was getting away with no recognition herself.  In fact Christina even asked if that was Chris’ intent when she noticed the absence of a “Nani” on the cake top.  I assured her that was not going to happen.  I do try to keep something up my sleeve for just such eventualities.  So after the Happy Birthday to You song I got everyone’s attention and made my little presentation.  Here’s the speech I came up with:

“Chris, Nani, Nana … You really seemed to like the letters I carved for you last year.  I know that those letters happened to form the names of each of your grandchildren, but after all, they were just letters, right?  So for your birthday I chose two more random letters for you.  Totally random letters, you understand.”  At that point I held them up for all to see these two new letters before I handed them to her. 

Oh, what letters were they?  A good question, I suppose.  I didn’t think to include that information since they were chose strictly at random.  As I recall they were both capital letters.  Hmm.  An “L” and an “X,” joined together.  That’s it.  And to my utter surprise, Jachin told me that an “L” and an “X” joined together - in Roman numerals - equals the number sixty.  Really?  Imagine that?  Where in the world could that have come from? 

“Sixty Sunday” is coming, Chris.  Two more days.

Proverbs 20:28 says, “Love and faithfulness keep a king safe; through love his throne is made secure.”

Father, I know nothing about the whole king experience, but I do appreciate the loves you have put in my life.  Amen.

No comments: