Thursday, April 24, 2014

April 24 – “A respite from intensity”

I have started to receive a little bit of feedback from the Bibles Chris and I donated to each of the stations this Easter.  Several guys have expressed their appreciation.  One wondered if I had accidentally left my Bible there.  I still need to deliver one out to station two.  That’s where I was headed when I got word that I was needed back up at the hospital to help make some decisions.  And I have one for the admin office and the fire marshal’s office.  Sorry about the delay on those, guys.  Here’s praying that they will make a difference in somebody’s life.

Nathan called to let me know my Class A fire department uniform had been delivered and was at station 5.  I’ve been waiting a long time for that delivery.  If I remember correctly it was sometime in September when it was ordered.  Six months.  Quite a long delivery time, isn’t it?  I hope they do better with the fire fighters’ orders.  The uniform fits pretty well.  Now all I need is my hat and all the hardware that goes with the uniform.  I’m not completely sure what all that includes.  I think it’s things like badges for the coat and hat, lapel pins for the coat and shirt, and name pins for the coat and shirt.  It was really good to spend those few minutes at the station.  I’m still kind of in awe that they asked me to serve as chaplain.  The guys there gave me a brief respite from all the intensity that is my world right now, kind of like when Chris was able to take a walk.  Their crazy world helped me to take a deep breath or two away from mine.  Thanks, Station 5, for letting me hang out for a few minutes.  

While I was gone, two aides from hospice came by to help bathe Mom.  They also brought along some hospital gowns and even a lap quilt for her.  They were all made by hand for hospice patients.  And they were pretty nice looking, too.  Chris chose to start with the one that had the most of Mom’s favorite color, pink.  I know.  Not my choice by any means.  But it sure looks good on her, especially after that drab hospital green one she came home in.

We had a few visitors yesterday.  Nathan came by and had lunch with us (thanks again for the spaghetti, Alice).  Betty Head and her daughter Liz came by as well.  Liz is Mom’s goddaughter.  They brought some chicken salad and fettuchini chicken alfredo (Whatever that is.  We haven’t tried it yet, but the salad is great).  They also brought some watermelon, so Chris was in hog heaven.  That’s an all-time favorite of hers.  Stan came by for a while, too, and brought us some Dr Peppers.  And I have to admit, it’s hard to beat DP’s. 

Psalms 4:1 says, “Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God.  Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer.”

Father, I know the distress we feel is normal and that you will bring us through to the joy on the other side when Mom is finally released into your presence.  Thank for the brief periods of respite on this side as well.  They really help.  Amen.

No comments: