Tuesday, April 15, 2014

April 15 – “Hectic Holy Week”

We have received the details of Uncle Jerry’s funeral.  Wednesday from 5-8 p.m. will be the visitation.  Funeral services will be held Thursday morning at 10 a.m., with burial to follow.  It will take place at Forest Park East Funeral Home.  21620 Gulf Fwy, Webster, TX.  Deacon Sam from Holy Family Parish will lead the service.  They have asked me to share as well.

Mom was scheduled to be discharged yesterday to go to the Meridian for rehab.  I had to hustle over to their offices to sign their required admission papers.  It felt like I was buying another house.  “Sign here.  Initial there.”  Fifty-five pages worth of stuff.  I didn’t have some of the documents they were requesting, because they were with Chris in Mom’s file bag (Yep, we have a whole bag designated just for her medical stuff).  Things like the power of attorney documents and specific insurance information.  I texted Chris to see if Mom had had flu and pneumonia immunizations.  She answered, “John (the RN) just came in: she is not being discharged today.”  I read that one out loud, and the admissions lady stopped cold.  It took her a few seconds to gather herself, and after a deep breath she reassured herself (I’m serious.  She wasn’t talking to me at all), and mumbled, “Oh, no.  Oh, wait.  It’s good for a month.  We’re OK.”  Finally she shook her head a bit and redirected her vocalizations to me.  “That’s fine.  The paperwork is good for a month before we have to redo it.”  We finished the remaining pages and she ushered me out the back door.  I don’t think she meant it to hide me or anything.  It’s just that residents’ families most often come and go out that way. 

As quickly as I could, I texted Chris back to find out what was going on.  Here’s her answer: “Dr. just in: not discharging her because her white count has jumped up.  More crackles in her lungs.  Did chest x-ray already.  Going to do another round of urine and blood cultures.”  Oh boy.  Another infection.  And while she is still on antibiotics.  That can’t be good.  I swept into Jack-in-the-box and grabbed us some more tacos and hurried on to the hospital. 

When I arrived Chris and the RN were gathering all of Mom’s things together.  I wondered if they had changed their minds again.  But no.  She was moving, but just to another floor.  They had a cardiac patient who needed to be on this floor, so she had to be bumped.  I had a brief moment of hope there.  Maybe she would get to go to what they referred to as “The Penthouse.”  That would be the tenth floor where they try to put elderly patients.  The one with the huge rooms and couches.  But sadly, it was not to be.  They were still full.  Instead she would now be on the fifth floor. 

I was sent on the reconnaissance mission to check it out.  Actually transportation was on their way, and they just needed me to carry an armful of flowers and bags.  So she would now be off of the cardiac floor and in with gynecology, oncology and nephrology (had to look that one up.  It has to do with the kidneys).  Once they got her moved, she had a bath (first one in a week.  That had to feel good).  The docs changed her antibiotic to the big guns to try to knock out this new infection.  Oh, and just before she moved, she did walk a few steps with the physical therapy guy, from the chair to the bed.  That actually sounds better than it was, though.  Remember the nickname for the last room she was in was “The Closet.”  And she was worn out by the time she made it back to the chair.  Baby steps. 

I had to leave early to get by Office Depot and order the programs for the sunrise service.  I forced myself to slow down enough to get a haircut, and then stopped in at WalMart for the grapes I forgot and some more Blue Bell.  Gotta stock up while it is on sale.  Last night I looked at my plate for this week.  Mom in hospital.  Take care of transfer to Meridian.  Sunrise service and regular preparations.  Water exercise Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  Cailyn’s surgery Wednesday.  Family visitation for Jerry Wednesday.  Funeral service for Jerry Thursday.  Wedding rehearsal Friday night.  Family Easter egg dyeing Saturday morning.  Wedding Saturday afternoon.  Easter sunrise service and regular service Sunday morning.  Deliver some Easter things to the fire stations Sunday afternoon.  That’s quite a way to spend one’s Holy Week.  Yep.  I’m one tired puppy just thinking about it. 

1 Chronicles 16:34 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

Father, thank you.  Thank you for hospitals and surgeries, funerals and weddings, preparations and deliveries.  It’s the end of the week that makes all the difference.  You rose from the dead.  You’re alive.  You are good.  Your love endures forever.  Amen.

No comments: