Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April 16 – “Taking a hike”

Well, we got some great news to start our morning yesterday.  Not.  X-rays or blood tests or listening to the crackling in her lungs or hearing her wheeze when she breathes or whatever it is they use showed mom has pneumonia now.  That mean several things.  For one, they switched antibiotics again.  They went back to the big gun vancomyacin (or however you spell it).  They also added another one that starts with a “Z.”  That one is a combination drug that includes a synthetic.  They are supposed to work together to inhibit the growth of the bacteria (or some such scientific gobbled gook).  They apparently only use it rarely so the bacteria doesn’t get used to it and start fighting back.  As long as it does its job, I guess I’ll be happy.  The other thing is that there will be no discharge, even to The Meridian.  Maybe for several more days.  They have to make sure she is responding to the antibiotics before they send her anywhere.  They also still have to have that ever-elusive negative blood culture.

Mom did walk a bit down the hall with the physical therapist.  He was a very kind young man with one of those soothing voices.  “Let’s do it together.  You can do it.  We’ll just walk to that computer up there and then rest.”  Oh, and my favorite, “If I have to do it, then you have to do it.  Come on, don’t make me do it by myself.”  It was all I could do not to respond with some sarcasm to a few of those encouragements.  Mom relished the attention, though.  And, well, it worked.  He rolled her out into the hall in the room chair, and I pushed it behind her as she went.  She had some kind of dip with her right leg and drag with her left.  I don’t think it was a dance move exactly, but the PT guy was pleased.  She was totally exhausted after only two brief stints, so he settled her back in the chair and rolled her back to the room.  I tried to convince him to push her around the halls a time or two in a roller coaster-type ride.  It would have been great fun, I’m sure.  Couldn’t convince him, though.

While we were there I read on FaceBook that one of the fire department wives had a grandfather facing some serious health issues.  I texted her to see where they were.  Just a floor beneath us.  I took a quick elevator ride down and had prayer with them.  May God be with the Smecca family.  Great folks.

I made my way back home shortly after that.  We realized that we were out of the parking garage tokens gifted to us by a friend of mine from high school.  That meant I had to pay $8.75 for the few hours I was there.  Not that Mom isn’t worth it.  It did make us appreciate your gift even more, though, Charlotte.  Thank you so much.

And so on to today.  Cailyn’s surgery at 12:30.  Family visitation for Uncle Jerry from 5 to 8.  Wonder if they will release Mom to the Meridian today?  That would add some more drama to the picture …

Psalms 36:7 says, “How priceless is your unfailing love!  Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.”

Father, walk with the Smecca family today.  They could use some of your hugs.  And wrap your arms around Cailyn while you are at it.  We love that little one.  Amen.

No comments: