Friday, April 11, 2014

April 11 – “Entertaining the nurses”

I took Cailyn to school yesterday via “Moody in the Gardens.”  That’s her special treat for those days she gets ready quickly enough.  As we drove past Schlitterbahn she informed me that she has a trip planned there.  I asked, “Oh? Who is going on your trip?”  She immediately listed, “Mommy, Daddy, Nani, you DadDad, and meemaw.”  I for one would love to see Mom going down one of those huge waterslides. 

I made a trip over to The Meridian to see Uncle Jerry.  On the way in through their security system and very slow elevator, I stood next to the speech pathologist.  She looked eerily familiar, and I know I must have been sneaking a few peaks to get a closer look.  She finally relented and asked if I knew who she was.  I assured her I knew the face but had no name to go with it.  It was Kerry from Jamaica Beach.  She has been to church a time or two.  I knew it.  Always makes me feel kind of silly.  She was kind, though.  Jerry seemed to be sleeping quite peacefully.  A picture of his family was mounted on the bed right next to his face.  Kristen was due to arrive in a few hours. 

The night before Mom started wheezing badly.  She was overloaded with fluids and her lungs were filling up.  They stopped the IV fluids except for when she needed her antibiotics.  They also gave her a dose of Lasix and started her on oxygen.  That took a while but eventually did the trick.  They do have to watch that closely now. 

The gerontology team came by with their report.  The CT scan of her abdomen showed no further infection there.  That was good news.  They were still waiting on the latest blood cultures.  Those will be the key to what happens next.  She is still on high doses of prednisone.  She received massive doses in the ER that they continued when she was in ICU.  They will be weaning her off of those very slowly over the next few weeks.  She will be here “at least one more night.” 

Occupational Therapy came by and helped her into the chair.  Between that and the ensure they brought her, she was in hog heaven.  While Chris was gone – she went home to pick up Cailyn from school and get a shower – Mom said she felt like she had to go to the bathroom to urinate.  I explained to her about the catheter, but she kept insisting, so I asked Nurse Erin to come explain it to her.  Mom finally said she understood.  I was skeptical.  Erin said to let her know when Mom wanted to go back to bed.  She would get some help.  After a little while she started in again on wanting to go to the bathroom.  I told her unless she had to poop that wasn’t an option.  She got frustrated and with a deep sigh said, “I guess I’ll just go back to bed then.”  Thinking she meant that - foolish me - I called for Erin and she came with a colleague to help her out.  But when they got there Mom changed her mind and said she had to go to the bathroom.  They explained the whole catheter thing again, and Mom was really in actress mode.  Her facial expressions in response to the explanation were hilarious, and it was obvious she was paying no attention at all to Erin’s carefully worded thoughts.  To her credit Erin was doing a masterful job of keeping a straight face.  Not so much the other nurse.  And then came what proved to be the last straw.  Mom stuck out her tongue at Erin.  Both nurses lost it.  I lost it.  Mom snickered and grinned and hunched up her shoulders in a “Ha!  I got you” kind of movement.  The next few minutes were a mishmash of feeble attempts to stay on task.  “Do you want to get back in bed?”  Hilarious.  “She’s so stinkin’ cute.”  Outrageous.  They finally switched to asking if she needed to go poop.  She said, “Sure.”  And then she was not so sure.  She finally said, “I just want to get up and walk around somewhere.”  And there it was.  I personally think the steroids had her so pumped up that she was ready to run a marathon.  They tried to explain about waiting for physical therapy and going slowly, but she was … well, high.  She could do anything.  I finally suggested getting her one of those bedside potties and letting her walk from the chair to the potty.  Grateful for the chance to leave the room, they raced off to put in the order. 

We did finally get her settled back in the bed.  And later on in the afternoon the potty chair did arrive.  Maybe another day. 

1 John 4:16 says, “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.  God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.” 

Father, thank you for the loving and light-hearted moments those nurses provided yesterday.  Surround them with your care.  Amen.

No comments: