Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13 – “Gentleness and joy”

The official word came to us yesterday morning.  Uncle Jerry died about 11:45 the night before.  Sounds like it was very peaceful for him, and that will go a long way toward bringing peace to the family as well.  We still don’t know all the details about funeral arrangements.  More to come on that end today.

We did manage to have a little fun the other day from Mom’s room.  Ah, Mom’s room.  She was supposed to be admitted to the tenth floor, which is the A.C.E. unit – Accelerated Care for the Elderly.  The rooms on that floor are beautiful.  And quite large.  Each one has a separate living area with a couch.  Quite impressive.  Yep.  That’s where she was supposed to be.  Unfortunately all those rooms were occupied when it came time to move her out of ICU.  ”The Closet,” as we affectionately call the tiny room on the ninth floor (so close, yet so far away.  Sigh) she has been living in since leaving ICU, is so small that the sleeper chair is just about the only thing that fits other than the bed.  There is another chair in there, but it is supposed to be used as a desk chair for the tiny little cubicle space by the door.  Oh, I can’t forget the nifty little folding chair they have hanging on the wall beneath the sign that encourages patients to invite their doctors to have a seat and talk a while.  Cute little thing.  Nowhere does it fit into the realm of being remotely comfortable, but it is … cute.  The room does have one window, though, and it has an interesting view.  It faces roughly east, so you can see directly onto the top of the parking garage as well as the ground entrance and exit of said garage.  Onto the story …

Kel and his family all came to visit MeeMaw.  They texted that they were almost to the hospital, so I was standing watch at the window.  I spotted their car as they entered and alerted Chris.  I continued my stakeout on the chance that they would continue on and park on the roof.  Sure enough, they pulled just into my view.  Micah’s choice.  Nice job, Micah.  My inside man on this operation.  As they got out of the car I started texting Kel:
“I see you.”
He looked around, then responded, “Creeper.”

Boys will be boys, and I noticed Jachin leading the younger ones over to the wall to peer over the edge.  “Jachin!  Get away from that ledge”
I’m sure they appreciated my grandfatherly concern.  At that point Kel went back to their car.  “What did you forget?”

They had stopped at Sonic and had Chris a cherry limeade slush from happy hour drinks afternoon.  He replied, “Mom’s straw.”

As they made their way toward the hospital we were interrupted by someone from the transportation department.  He was there to pick up Mom for an ultrasound of her carotid artery, a test they ordered back in the ER or ICU that they never got around to performing.  Hastily I texted Kel, “Pause in the lobby,” and turned to the issue at hand.

I told Chris they were on their way into the hospital, so she asked how long the test was supposed to take.  The transportation guy said, “Only takes about ten or fifteen minutes.”  Never listen to the transportation guy. 

As they continued loading Mom onto the stretcher I checked my phone.  There was another one from Kel: “Feel like I’m in a spy movie.  Trying to lose my tail, track the bad guy, rescue the hostage.”

As fun as this was, I decided to let them off the hook.  Chris stayed with Mom, and I went downstairs and met them in the lobby.  They came on up and saw the Closet, er, Mom's room.  Nurse Erin came in and said the test would be at least another 30-45 minutes, so they went on to the library.

While they were gone I got some more news.  The docs decided not to do a pic line after all.  New research says the antibiotic she is on, levoquin, can be taken as a pill with the same effect.  She had one last levoquin IV, then pills.  She also has to have one dose of potassium IV, though.  The problem with that is that it burns when it is administered.  Erin set it up to drip very slowly though to avoid as much pain as possible.  It will probably take all night to finish.

Then the social worker came by to tell us that Mom was officially accepted into the Meridian under the 20 day Medicare window for rehab.  They wanted the weekend to accumulate her medications and complete all the paperwork, though.  The transfer will take place Monday.  We should be hearing from a Meridian representative next.

They all came back at about the same time, and the “smile warmly” moment of the day came when Josiah crawled up onto the bed next to Mom and gently stroked her arm.  When she spoke to him, he got very excited and animatedly proclaimed, “MeeMaw talked.”  Leave to a three year old to rejoice in even the smallest of gifts from God. 

Matthew 11:29-30 says, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Father, thank you for teaching us about gentleness and unrestrained joy through the mouth and actions of a three year old.  Amen.

No comments: