Saturday, February 22, 2014

February 22 – “Learning scientific method with an Arts guy”

Happy real birthday, George Washington.  At least this was your day when I was in grade school.  I remember the black construction paper silhouettes and the tri-cornered hats and the “I cannot tell a lie” folklore well.  And good ol’ Abe had his own special day as well (with his own silhouette and trademark top hat).  Sure made the teachers’ lesson plans a lot easier to prepare for those days. 

And speaking of lesson plans, Chris had an inspired one the other day for Cailyn.  It doesn’t really take much when the curiosity is already there.  Cailyn took one of those see-through plastic containers out into the back yard to play.  Or so we thought.  She was actually in the throes of scientific curiosity.  What would happen if I put some dirt in this container and then put water in it and then shook it all up?  Well, that’s not something you just wonder about all your life.  You have to give it a try.  So she did.  And the water did its part by dissolving much of the dirt.  Fascinating.  She raced inside to show us the results.  And as she revealed her findings to Nani, another idea struck her.  What would happen if I put the container in the freezer and froze it all?  Hey, you have to try that one out, too, don’t you? 

The next time she came over, she went right to the freezer to check out the progress of her little experiment.  This is the point where I entered the picture as an outside observer.  That was probably the best place for me, since my bachelor’s and master’s degrees both end in the letter “A” for “Arts,” not Science.  But I can ask questions.  Together we figured out that there was a lot of dirt on the bottom of the ice cube and some branches and even a little dirt on the top.  What happened there?  As the water calmed down after being shaken up, the dirt settled to the bottom.  The stuff that floats anyway, rose to the top.  And the rest froze.  Good observation.  Then she wanted to know what would happen if she left it out all day while she was at school.  Now up to this point we had been following the ignorant arts student approach to science, also called the “Let’s see what happens” approach.  It works great for getting into trouble as well, but let’s not go there.  Way back in the back of my feeble brain I vaguely remembered something about what I think was called the “scientific method.”  I recalled it not being nearly as fun as just doing something and being surprised by the results.  This way you have to make a guess at what you think might happen, then see if you were right or wrong.  I guess that’s part of what bothered me about the whole thing, yet appealed to me as well.  It was OK to be proven wrong.  Who ever wants to be proven wrong?  That was the negative part.  The good part was, I was pretty much always wrong in what I predicted, so it was always easy to write about my results.  So we came up with some predictions.  Will it still be frozen when you get home from school? Will it be like a slushie?  Will it just be dirty water again?  She decided on the still-frozen option and made her way to school.  And when she got home, she dutifully checked out the container on the bar.  The ice was completely gone.  The dirt was all in the bottom.  A few branches floated on top.  She quickly made her scientific observation, “Hey, look at this stuff.  It’s water.”  I couldn’t help myself.  I countered with, “Are you thirsty?  It looks clean enough to drink.”  And she bested me, once again.  She shook her head from side to side in a blatant display of abject pity.  Without saying a word, she shook the jar violently to stir up the nastiness.  A sly grin spread across her face.  And, still silently, she handed it to me as if to say, “You first.”  Ouch.  Not very scientific, but I gotta hand it to her, though.  This experiment was a lot more fun than any of the ones I ever did in school.

Hebrews 4:13 says, “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”

Father, thank you for a child’s thrill of discovery and the massive amount of it yet to happen for him.  Gives them so much to look forward to.  Amen.

No comments: