Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 19 – “A City Council blunder”

Well, once again I am officially embarrassed by the actions of the Galveston City Council.  Those who know me know I rarely say anything about politics of any kind.  I have found the whole subject to be divisive and counter-productive to God’s ideal of unity.  I know the city government is not the church, but I believe principles from scripture have proven effective in other areas as well.  This is one that is so ludicrous that I had to at least make mention of it.  I know it will not change anything.  I know I don’t have an obligation to take up someone else’s offense.  I just want to say something in support of a man I have grown to appreciate as an administrator and love as a fellow believer.

The city council fired our city manager yesterday.  Michael Kovaks has been with the city only about two years.  His most vocal opponent said she had issues “with communication” and something along the lines that Mike was working to avoid conflict in a position where “this just isn’t possible.”  (Just because you have never seen this style work doesn’t mean it won’t.  More about Mike’s management style later).  Two of his opponents said nothing at all.  The other one just spoke platitudes about wanting the city to grow and “everything to go smoothly.”  Not a very clear reason for firing in the bunch, is there?  On the other hand, two of those who spoke for him had some insightful comments:

“Everyone knows this has been a dysfunctional city council.  If we’re going to talk about what’s lacking at City Hall, it’s the council, the management that’s at fault, not Kovaks.”

“City Council’s personality was predatory and divisive, and the city manager’s personality was uplifting and nurturing, and I think they were in conflict.”

And there’s the rub.  A personality conflict.  And quite an accurate depiction of the two sides, I must say, from a meager citizen’s point of view.  The predatory and divisive council, which, I might add, stands to be completely different at the next election due to term limits and decisions not to run again (What a ridiculous time to fire a key city employee) … versus the uplifting and nurturing city manager, whose style of management has been to surround himself with department heads who know what they were doing, and then, shock of all shocks, to trust them to actually do their jobs without micro-managing.  Far be it from me to speak for anyone else, but I would sure prefer to work for the uplifting, nurturing guy.

As a BOI, I have seen over the years that, like it or not, it takes at least five years for anyone who comes here “from the outside” to be accepted by Islanders.  And once that milestone is reached, people become much easier to work with.  I don’t understand it, but it has been a fairly accurate description of the city since I was a kid.  Mike has been here two years.  I think we owe him at least three more just based on that.  The council granted him a severance package that works out roughly to a year’s salary.  Sounds generous, but what about his family?  He has a wife and three great boys who have been trying to break that five year barrier as well.  This move effectively puts them in limbo.  Where will they be in school next year?  What plans can they make for going to camp or taking a vacation or saving for college?  Dad will land on his feet, of that I am sure, but there are always longer-term issues at work when you look at family dynamics. 

I appreciate the fact that Mike is very pro-fire department.  I understand that because I am his pastor, I have a personal connection with him.  But I would like to state clearly and firmly – for the record - that Michael Kovaks is a good man who, given a real opportunity, will prove himself to be a highly effective city administrator.  I’d be happy to provide a reference for you, Mike, not that what a simple pastor would have to say would make a difference to a prospective employer.  In fact you probably won’t even ever read this blog entry.  Nevertheless, I love you and Fonya and the boys. 

Jeremiah 29:11-13 says, “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’”

Father, walk with Mike and his family as they look toward the bright future you have for them.  Help him to stay consistent in using a biblical strategy of management in the future.  Give him and Fonya and the boys your peace that passes all understanding in the midst of all the craziness that is Galveston politics.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like this would be something even better communicated through a venue like "Letters to the Editor" of the Galveston newspaper. You did a great job and it deserves more exposure.