Monday, February 10, 2014

February 10 – “Double digits February”

Double digits February.  Sigh.  Where did the time go? 

I got word that Loopy Moose, the guy I wrote about yesterday, is still in the hospital, and his infection seems to be getting worse.  He referred to himself as loopy on FaceBook this morning when he posted a thank you to everyone who has been praying for him and visiting.  Of course since he was loopy when he wrote that he may not remember it when he comes out of this mess and discovers he has an addition to his nickname.  Keep praying for this guy, folks.  They still don’t know the source of the infection, and he has a sweet little four-year-old girl at home waiting for him.  (Or is she five now?  Either way, the “sweet” part remains, Gianna!). 

We had a few of the Gideons at church yesterday.  They told a little about their ministry of giving away Bibles all over the world.  They are doing a great work.  One of my pet peeves about the Gideons, though, has always been that the Bible they give away are always the King James version.  Well, now it seems they have introduced a new concept Bible geared to teenagers.  They call it The Life Book.  It uses the English Standard Version, for one thing, which is a more modern translation and much easier to understand in today’s society.  The other unique factor is this.  They recruited a few teenagers to make comments on the scripture throughout the reading.  It begins with a kind of overview of creation and works into the entire text of the Gospel of John.  I haven’t finished reading through it yet, but the concept is very creative and seems to be well done.  The idea is for the Gideons to provide the Life Books to the churches, who then provide it to their students to give away at school.  Each church can order up to 1500 copies, but they try to keep the orders reasonable based on how many students are actually attending the church.  I tried to order the whole amount so we could use them not only in schools, but also in beach ministry with the groups that come to stay in our retreat center.  They kicked back my order and I had to justify it in a separate email, so we’ll see how that goes. 

I guess I better get to work before some more of that figure skating and ice dancing comes on TV.  It has SUCH a magnetic draw that I don’t know if I can stand it.  I want to see some luge or speed skating or whatever they call that simple one where they just see how far they can jump.  Oh, or my all-time favorite … curling.

Malachi 4:2 says, “But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall.”

Father, give those doctors some supernatural wisdom today as they do the tests on Moose.  Bring your healing to him.  I’d sure like to see him leap like a calf.  Amen.

No comments: