Thursday, February 20, 2014

February 20 – “Give me a break …”

I had lots of feedback on my blog yesterday.  Seems some folks want me to submit it to the newspaper letters to the editor.  I never have seen letters to the editor as accomplishing much of anything, so I’ll let someone else do that.  I did repost it last night in its full form on FaceBook.  Maybe a few more people will see it.  Still won’t change the outcome, though.

I read an article yesterday about the most influential candy bar in the world.  I thought it was going to have some connection to that beer commercial about the most influential man in the world who doesn’t always drink beer.  Nowhere close.  This was an actual, somewhat serious study.  Go ahead.  Which candy would you think?  I admit I went straight to Hershey bars.  I figured they had probably been around longer than any others.  I was right about that, but wrong about the influence part.  Seems that KitKat bars are number one.  Aside from that catchy tune (You know you are humming it.  “Give me a break, give me a break …”), the reason it affects more people around the world than Snickers or even Nestle’s Crunch bars?  Because it was the first candy to be marketed around the concept of sharing.  There has to be a spiritual lesson in that one somewhere.

Chris and I had another Wednesday to get out of the house together, thanks to Jennifer staying with Mom.  So we headed into Texas again to check on Robert, the Seasider who had heart valve replacement surgery last week.  He is doing much better after:
Having to have the surgery redone because the valve was leaking.
Having to swallow a trach camera to check for clots.
Having to receive a unit of blood to get him over a hump there.
Having to receive several different medications in an effort to regulate his heart rate.
Having to be shocked with a defibrillator because his heart rhythm wouldn’t respond to the medications.
Looks like he will be allowed to come home tomorrow.   His Mom and Dad are waiting for him there to help him out for the next month or so, and his paramedic partner will check in on him regularly as well.  Not to mention all the prayers being lifted up for him.  He’ll be in good hands.

Psalms 119:41-42 says, “May your unfailing love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise; then I will answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in your word.”

Father, continue to reveal that unfailing love to Mike and Robert.  Amen.

No comments: