Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 15 – “Twinkle tongue wordsmith”

Chris received the wake-up call yesterday morning.  I was already up, but the call came to her phone this time.  No, it wasn’t from Uncle Jerry.  It was from Cailyn.  She was on her way to school and wanted to personally invite her Nani to join her at the school Valentine’s Day party.  She even volunteered her Daddy to come by and pick her up, since he was going to be off work and join the party as well.  Now how can you say no to something like that?  Especially when it doubles as your wake-up call as well. 

It certainly got Chris in the Valentine’s Day spirit.  She made me some homemade waffles for our Valentine’s breakfast.  That’s some good stuff.  I wasn’t quite finished with my Valentine gift for her.  I had another wild hare to do a carving and the eight hours I spent at the hospital really cut into my finishing time.  As a result I spent most of the morning working in the garage to get it finished.  That is, until my phone call came through.  This one was from Uncle Jerry.  He was being released from the hospital and needed a ride home.  They postponed his prostate biopsy until they could get a handle on why he has a perpetually high white blood cell count.  After dropping him off I stopped off at McAllister’s Deli and brought home some sandwiches for our Valentine’s lunch. 

Nathan came to pick Chris up for the party, so I finally had a few more minutes to finish up the carving.  The main part was done.  It was a fairly simple small footed tub.  I know, I know.  So romantic, right.  But there was a letter to go with it that explained everything.  Twinkle tongue wordsmith, right?  It was the second part that was taking me so long.  I was carving each of our grandkids’ names.  Again, you’d just have to read the letter.  It all makes sense.  At least to me.  And apparently to her.  She seemed to like it.  Oh, and she made me some chicken enchilada pie for supper last night.  Now that’s some really good stuff. 

I did make a quick run to the store when she got back from the party.  I picked up a bouquet of flowers and a stuffed monkey for Mom.  Hey, I had to make sure she knew it was from me.  After supper we all watched some Olympics together.  Homemade waffles, McAllister’s Deli, and chicken enchilada pie … and a gorgeous wife of almost 39 years to share it with.  It just doesn’t get any better than that.

Psalms 118:28-29 says, “You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you.  Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

Father, thank you for another great day with Chris.  And thank you for one more day with Mom.  Amen.

No comments: