Monday, August 5, 2013

August 5 – “Comforted”

Well, I did my duty yesterday and took ice cream to station five.  It seemed to be quite a surprise to them that I was the one who actually brought the ice cream.  After all they all had their picture in the paper with me.  As it turned out, I was glad I did make the visit.  They had a big smoker going in the parking lot, and they invited me to come back later in the day for some smoked ribs and chicken and corn on the cob.  Now that was some good food.  Even better than then food, though, they also invited their families to join them for the meal, so I had a chance to meet a few of the wives and even little Liam Short, representing the next generation.  Very cute kid. 

Cailyn spent the night with us Saturday.  She was quite worried that I would leave for church without her, in spite of my assurances otherwise.  Finally, just before we went to bed, she gave me this statement of permission:

“DadDad, it will be OK for you to quietly sneak into the bedroom in the morning.  Now don’t be noisy so you wake up Nana.  And you can sneak up to me a just whisper in my ear.  Say, ‘Cailyn, get up, Sweetie Pie.  It’s time for church.’  You can call me Sweetie Pie.  That will be all right.”

Well, with permission like that I was all geared up to make my Ninja assault that next morning.  Problem was, she woke up and joined me in the office by 6:30.  I had planned to give her at least another thirty minutes.  I questioned her about her early rising time.  I indicated my disappointment that I didn’t get to wake her up and call her Sweetie Pie.  Her reply:

“Well, that’s OK, DadDad.  It’ll be all right.  You can do it next time when I am at your house for night-night time.”

I felt … comforted.

Psalms 104:1 says, “Praise the Lord, O my soul.  O Lord my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty.”

Father, thank you for the chance to experience another part of the fire fighter family.  As ever, keep them safe today.  Amen.

No comments: