Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August 20 – “Happy Birthday, Oralee Vaughan”

Today is my Mom’s 87th birthday.  Born On Island.  Except for a trip to New York with friends when she was young, she rarely even left Galveston until she joined us on our trip of a lifetime to Mount Rushmore and points west of there.  I still remember her reaction to the gentle hills of Oklahoma: “Are we in the mountains?”  And then when we got to those switchback roads on the mountains in California, she changed her tune a bit to: “Oh, my aching back.”  She never met a stranger, which was quite a feat since as a girl she was considered to be quite shy.  She made some significant sacrifices for me over the years.  I know her and my Dad spent many an anniversary at the ball park watching me play.  She even pitched a wiffle ball to me to help hone my notoriously poor hitting skills.  That is, until I actually did hit one right back at her.  She wore her black eye proudly, but I lost my pitcher.  She retired from the active game and returned to her sedentary life as a spectator.  She was my cub scout den leader and I know she was president of the PTA at Island School (now Parker) for at least one term.  She and Dad were into square dancing for a while, and had lots of fun with the Isle-a-manders.  She didn’t really like being on boats.  Actually, she hated being on boats.  Kind of strange for the lady married to a deep sea fishing boat captain.  She did force herself to go on a cruise one time with some friends, and another time with my brothers and their families, and they must have kept her well-occupied below deck, because she made it through just fine.  But she sure didn’t ever want to go again.  She loved going to church, both at Grace Episcopal and later at Seaside.  Best place to make and have friends, she used to tell me.  I know this reminiscing has been pretty random, but … What a gal. 

In her honor, here is the song Cailyn made up when she was over yesterday:

Hey, DadDad, want to hear a happy song?
Make your smile happy
Make your smile happy
Make your smile happy
Make your smile happy
Even make your nose happy
Happy, hap.   Happy, hap.  Happy, hap.  Happy, hap. 
Happy, hap.  Happy, hap.  Happy, hap.  Happy, hap. 
Happy, happy.

Proverbs 31 says, “Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?   She is more precious than rubies … Her children stand and bless her … Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.”

Father, thank you for my Mom.  Amen.

No comments: