Sunday, August 4, 2013

August 4 – “Fame”

My “fame” didn’t take long to spread.  I was mowing the grass yesterday when one of my neighbors pulled up in her car.  Alice has known me since we first moved to this neighborhood.  I mean first moved here.  Back when I was five years old.  Her family eventually moved into the house next door to us.  She still lives in that house, and now I live across the street.  It was not necessarily surprising that she would stop to talk, but I certainly had no idea what she might want. 

I turned off the weedeater (thankful for the break – it was hot) and ambled over to her car to say hello.  Before I could speak, though, she greeted me with a perky, “How’s it going, Chappy?”  Yep.  She had already seen the newspaper article with that big headline, “Chappie listens.”  They spelled it with an “ie,” but I have never been one to be a slave to convention, so I changed it.  Besides, I’m kind of lazy.  Alice was very pleased with the article, though.  She said she had never thought about all the stress involved in the profession.  She also had a question, one that I’m sure others have had.  “Why do fire fighters respond to medical emergencies instead of EMS?”  I explained that fire fighters are geared up to respond more quickly, so they are usually on the scene first, assess the situation, and perform initial aid.  Then when EMS does arrive, they brief them and help in any way they can.  She thought it would make more sense to have the EMS and fire department all operating out of the same place.  Hmm.  Seems like that has come up in discussions.  Better watch out for Alice, guys.  She is quite the community activist. 

I also found out that having my picture in the paper “qualifies” me for some obscure, bizarre fire department hazing ritual.  Seems that when you get your picture in the paper it automatically becomes your turn to provide ice cream for the guys on your next shift.  Fortunately, Kroger’s has Blue Bell on sale this week, two for seven dollars.  Guess me and Blue Bell will be making a stop by station five this afternoon after church. 

Ah, the price of fame.

Psalms 103:20-22 says, “Praise the Lord, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word.  Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will.  Praise the Lord, all his works everywhere in his dominion.”

Father, draw some folks toward you today.  After all, it is your day.  Amen.

No comments: