Thursday, August 1, 2013

August 1 – “An FD Day”

Yesterday was a fire department day for me.  I made a trip up to the administration office to check in and see how things were going up there.  I had a great visit with the chief and heard about a few of the upcoming events that I might have a chance to be involved in.  One will involve the Bryan fire department as kind of a celebration of the relationship the two units have developed after the injuries several of their guys received and their subsequent stay at the UTMB burn unit.  Later on there will be another pinning ceremony for the new hires and those who have been promoted.  I’ll be one of the ones “officially” receiving my badge and getting pinned at that one.  The chief was also looking forward to the newspaper article scheduled to come out this Saturday.  It’s about the chaplaincy here in the Galveston department – how it is good for the department and the community and how other departments can get one started.  It will be great to have an article that is at its core a positive one, without politics or a specific disaster being involved.

When I left the chief’s office I went down as is my custom to see the fire fighters on duty, but they were out on a call, with just a captain holding down the fort.  I was disappointed that I didn’t get to see the whole crew, but that is the nature of the calling.  I did get a text, though, from one of the other stations.  The honor guard coordinator had a copy of the Galveston-specific procedures for line of duty deaths that I had asked him for.  He was also the guy who set up the softball tournament last weekend.  He was very pleased at the turnout and the attitude of the guys.  I enjoyed talking to him and his captain for a while before heading out to Seaside for our prayer meeting. 

There are so many possibilities for the future in ways to do ministry with the fire department.  Oh, they have their issues to deal with – city politics, union wrangling, equipment repair and replacement and the like.  But when all that extraneous stuff is factored out and the focus is placed on the reason behind their existence as an organization in the first place – to save lives and protect the community – you find a unity of respect rather than separation.  They share a common bond that transcends pettiness and forces you to return to the life and ministry of Jesus and to see emulated his approach to life: “Love God.  Love People.”  Don’t get me wrong.  I love the church.  I love Seaside.  But I have sure been blessed by my time working here.

Matthew 22:37-40 says, “Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'   This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'   All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."”

Father, use me however you can.  I am willing.  Amen. 

No comments: