Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 14 – “Happy birthday to me”

How’s that for a self-serving title?  But, hey, after sixty years I deserve a little bit of self-indulgence, Right?  Well, probably not. 

The firefighters from Bryan who spent several months here in Galveston after being severely burned were back in town yesterday with several of their chiefs.  They brought down some challenge coins for the Galveston department. Challenge coins are souvenirs a little bigger than a silver dollar that commemorate key events or designate department uniquenesses.  I think the idea is a really good one.  It has apparently been around for years.  The Galveston chief has quite a collection of them.  One of the Galveston guys showed me one the other day that commemorated their service during Hurricane Ike.  It had the satellite image of the hurricane in the Gulf on it.  The one the Bryan guys brought had the Galveston department logo and one side and the Bryan department logo on the other, each surrounded by the words, “Two Departments, One Brotherhood.”  They did some short speeches thanking Galveston again and again for the help they were to the fire fighters and their families while they were on the island.  Then Chief Wisko asked me to bless them all.  I prayed a quick prayer, and then we went outside for a photo op.  Everyone gathered by the side of the ladder truck.  Fifteen or twenty Galveston fire fighters were there, so it was a really good showing.  The city public information officer took the picture, so it may be in the paper before long.  If it is, I want to know who buys the ice cream?

After the photos, a group of us went over to Mario’s on 61st Street for their lunch buffet.  I sat next to the injured guys, so I had a chance to talk to them a little bit.  We connected when we realized that we were taking some of the same nerve pain medication.  Interesting thing to find in common with someone, I know.  But severe injuries and old age make for some strange bedfellows. 

Psalms 104:34 says, “May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the Lord.”

Father, those Bryan guys are looking really good after all they have been through.  Keep healing them and walking with them.   Amen.

No comments: