Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August 28 – “A New Friend”

I met a new checker at WalMart the other day.  Her name was Joyce.  I have been in her line before, but this time there were very few people in line, so I made an attempt to get to know her a little bit.  She was certainly surprised that I was actually talking to her.  She started out kind of shy, as most of them do when I call them by name and make a comment like, “I’m sure glad I got in line with one of the best checkers in the store,” or “I’m always glad to get in your line, because you are always smiling.”  It kind of disarms them, I guess.  Maybe they assume everybody is just there to get their purchase and get out.  But, hey, this is Galveston.  Some of us make the time to make some small talk at least. 

As we talked some EMS guys walked by with their rolling cart.  No one in it yet, though.  I said hi to them, and Joyce asked if I knew them.  That opened the door for me to tell her I was the fire department chaplain.  And that apparently was the opening she was looking for.  She seemed to explode with glee.  She started out with, “Oh, so that’s why you’re always so nice and happy when you come through the line.”  Whoa.  There’s some pressure.  And then she let loose with praise to Jesus for all kinds of things.  I have to say, I wasn’t expecting that.  Great to hear it, though.  By the time we finished there was another lady in line behind us, and if I’m not mistaken, she was grinning and maybe even humming a hymn.  Always exciting to meet a fellow believer, even in line at WalMart.  Hey … especially in line at WalMart.

Psalms 107:8-9 says, “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.”

Father, walk with Joyce and all the other fellow believers I haven’t met yet.  Amen.

No comments: