Saturday, June 22, 2013

June 22 – “Hanging out with Mom”

I got to hang out with Mom a bit the other day.  Chris and Cailyn went to the library to meet up with Christina and her brood.  I was working feverishly on getting stuff ready for camp when Mom shuffled into the room and headed for the front door.  She wasn’t using her walker, so I stood up and followed close behind.  Apparently she had seen a car speed by from her perch on the couch, and wanted to check it out.  Never knew she was into fancy cars.  Or any cars for that matter.  Actually I think she was just being kind of nosey.  After all, this neighborhood has always been known for watching out for each other.  Problem was, she couldn’t see where the vehicle went, not from her couch perch and not from standing at the front door.  So she opened the door and took off.  There is a small step off of our front porch onto the driveway, and I was afraid if she got to moving too fast, that step might totally throw her off balance.  So I eased up behind her and took her arm.  I did ask her where she was going, but all she could come up with was a point in the direction of the now-disappeared vehicle.  We walked together to the end of our driveway to take a look, but that was as far as she could muster the energy to go.  So it was back to the front porch.  There we slumped down into the rocking chairs and settled in to watch for the next interloper.  It didn’t take long for Mom to fall asleep.  I don’t think I would have been far behind, but Chris and the kids returned from the library rarin’ to show off their new books.  The new activity woke Mom up as well, and we all reconvened inside where it was cooler. 

Oh, and speaking of the kids, Jachin showed me an award he received from his baseball team.  It was one of those coveted actual game balls he so desperately wanted back during the end of the season tournament.  His name was written on it as the team’s Most Valuable Player for the entire season.  Seems his baying average was in the neighborhood of .750.  Not too shabby.  Not too shabby at all.  Did I mention that’s my grandson?  Sure beats my legacy.  The best I could come up with was the homage paid to me by one of my old coaches, Mr. Green.  “Kelley was the best fielding shortstop Galveston ever produced.”  Sounds great, doesn’t it?  Wish he had stopped there, but he didn’t.  The rest of his pronouncement kind of hurt, but was it ever true … “But he couldn’t hit a bucket of balls.”  Ouch.  Keep up the good work, Jachin.  I’m proud of you.

Psalms 96:7 says, “Ascribe to the Lord, O families of nations, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.”

Father, thank you for special moments with my Mom.  I still remember her pitching me that wiffle ball and for once I connected.  Smacked her right in the eye.  How many kids can say they gave their mom a black eye?  Sitting together in rocking chairs is a bit safer, I guess.  Gotta love that woman.  But then, you do, don’t you?  Thanks.  Amen.

No comments: