Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16 – “Man of Steel”

Last night I went to the movies with Kel.  Kind of a pre-Father’s Day treat for the both of us.  He knew I would be interested in this one.  We saw the new Superman movie, Man of Steel.  Now, what I’m about to say requires a bit of a spoiler alert, so be forewarned.  First off, I really did like the movie.  I mean, how could I not appreciate someone bringing my childhood hero to life using real, live people instead of cartoons?   I mean, Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent.  Russell Crowe as Jor-El.  Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.  That’s some heavy hitters.  I liked the explanation of the “S” in his uniform being a Kryptonian symbol for Hope.  Of course in the comics his adopted Mom Martha sewed his uniform using the blankets he was wrapped in for his space journey.  She taught the young Clark to use his heat vision to cut the fabric for her.  Sigh.  But that’s another world.  See, a few things just didn’t fit the Superman I grew up with.  I know they were trying to make him approachable or easier to identify with, but they drastically changed some very basic things.  Here it comes …

First, Jonathan Kent, his adopted father, dies while son Clark, aka Superboy, looks on.  The boy could have saved him, but the Dad Kent refuses his help in order to keep his true identity a secret.  That’s a direct change from the comics.  Originally Jonathan has a simple heart attack.  The angst there is that there is absolutely nothing Superman could have done about it, a critical point in establishing the limits of his “super-ness.” 

Then Lois Lane tracks down and uncovers his secret identity.  At least to her credit she keeps it quiet, but in the comics I grew up with, the trials Clark has trying to keep his identity secret, especially from her, make up a good portion of the fun.  On the plus side, this new Lois is a lot smarter than the one in the comics.  She just follows the clues and ends up at the Kent’s farm. 

And finally, without revealing too much of the actual plot, Superman kills a guy.  Granted, it is presented as a choice he is forced to make, and he is quite remorseful when the deed is done.  But that just didn’t ever happen in the comics.  This was a very strange universe.  Not very DC-ish.  In fact, it was a pretty Marvel-ous place.  In spite of that, I did like it, and I look forward to the inevitable sequels.  And I did get to enjoy it with my son.  Thanks, Kel.

Psalms 95:6-7 says, “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care.”

Father, thank you for every chance I get to spend with my sons.  They have been an incredible gift from you.  Help their kids to grow to be the same for them.  Amen.

No comments: