Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17 – “Father’s Day at the Vaughan homestead”

Well, my Father’s Day was quite a treat all the way around.  I already talked about going to see Man of Steel with my first born.  That made it especially good, not just because I got to spend time with Kel, but also because I had yet another opportunity to try to convince him that Superman is obviously better than Spiderman.  He didn’t buy it, but that’s all right.  He’ll get another chance to see the light in the days to come.  I’m sure they will do a sequel. 

I got a phone call and a smart-aleck card from my second born, Josh, the one who resides in far-off San Antonio.  The card thanked me for the incredible degree of influence I have had on him, all the way down to the outrageous way I taught him to dress.  His card certainly called to mind some fond memories of two pair of pants that I used to have.  One had stripes, as I recall.  Bright, neon, lime-green stripes.  Probably the all-time most comfortable pair of pants I have ever owned.  I used to wear them every Christmas morning while we opened presents.  Still have lots of pictures.  The other great pair of pants was also green.  They were actually part of the fast-pitch softball uniform I wore when I played in Colorado.  Definitely green, like the grass.  Very bright.  And as I recall they had on stripe down the side of each leg.  Bright yellow stripe.  Fashionable, to be sure.  I use to wear those back when Seaside played softball.  I don’t know how well the teal Seaside uniform shirt went with them, but they definitely got folks’ attention.  I know Chris got a at least one call before every game begging her not to let me wear them out in public ever again.  Sadly, I lost both of those heirlooms in Hurricane Ike.  I have always suspected, though, that there was really nothing wrong with them.  I’m pretty sure we could have washed them a few times and they would have been good as new.  I have a theory that the people helping us clear stuff out of our house were secretly recruited by Chris and the boys to spirit them away behind my back.  Sigh.  Nostalgia.  Ain’t it grand?

Nathan and April and Cailyn made the day complete when they arrived in the evening to cook us some supper.  And what a feast it was.  One of my all-time favorites, chicken enchilada pie.  Lots and lots of cheese.  And they didn’t waste crucial stomach space by making a lot of vegetables, either.  Just a simple salad and a boatload of the good stuff.  We provided the Blue Bell cookies and cream for dessert.  Then we all went out in the back yard to check out Cailyn’s sunflower that has bloomed and now actually peeks over the top of the house to follow the sun.  Of course once we were out there, we were immediately enlisted to took turns swinging Cailyn.  It was nice and shady and a cool Galveston breeze was blowing.  Now that’s the way to top off a great day. 

Psalms 127:3-5 says, “Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.  They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.”

Father, thank you for each of the sons you put in my quiver.  May their children rise up and bless them as they have done me.  Amen.

No comments: