Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 9 – “Superhero costumes”

Cailyn went to the library with Nani yesterday.  That’s become one of their routines together every few weeks.  This time she brought home a book that was quite interesting.  Not so much for the subject matter as for the picture on the cover.  It was a superhero story, so don’t think there was anything wrong with her choice.  I mean, after all, most of what I learned between the ages of eight and fifteen or so I learned from either Superman comic books or the backs of baseball cards.  It’s just that on the way home she happened to notice something about this particular superhero – her clothes.  I’m not sure if it was the fact that Halloween is coming up or if she was just exhibiting some of that inborn knack for fashion that women have, but she was most definitely more interested in the garb than in the expression of that hero’s particular super powers.

Now when she showed the book to me later on, it quickly became apparent that she had the general superhero concept down without having a firm grasp on the specifics.  She pulled the book from her bag and announced that the lady on the cover was Batwoman.  Honest mistake, I’m sure.  After all, Batman gets all the best press nowadays.  It only stands to reason that his female counterpart should make a showing over at the library.  But it wasn’t Batwoman.  It was … Wonder Woman.

Now the issue Cailyn had with her on the way home from the library went something like this.

Cailyn: “Nani, this Batwoman doesn’t have any clothes on.”

Nani: “She has clothes on.”

Cailyn: “No, Nani.  She only has her panties on.”

Nani: “Oh.  Well, it just looks like that.  See, she’s wearing a kind of bathing suit.”

Cailyn: “Ooooh.”

Now, I wasn’t there, so I can’t make any judgments on that final comment, that ooooh.  But it doesn’t sound to me like she was all that convinced.  I have to give some kudos to Chris, though.  She pulled that one out of her hat.  I’m glad it was her and not me.  I shudder to think what my answer would have been. 

Psalms 33:22 says, “May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you.”

Father, keep that unfailing love coming.  Amen.

No comments: