Friday, October 12, 2012

October 12 – “Who needs DisneyWorld?”


I got to meet Roscoe P. GuineaPig the other day.  He is Cailyn’s new friend.  Well, I guess more accurately, he is Moe’s new friend (Moe is their original guinea pig), since they have to live together in much closer proximity.  When I was over there the other day Cailyn was very excited to make the introductions and then to take the opportunity to give him free rides around the house.  He rode the Pink Basket Swoop and the Bare Hands Grasp, but by far his favorite, I am sure, was the Rolling Backpack Mystery Tour.  It was a veritable Wonderland of Fun for Cailyn.  Not so sure about little Roscoe.  It might have been closer to a Nightmare on the Home Front for him.  Hey, who needs Disneyworld when you have Cailyn’s Planet?

During one of the excursions through the premises, Cailyn told me about a friend she has named Sarah.  Seems that Sarah has a possum (I know, it should be “an opossum”) that she puts on a leash and takes for a walk.  I told Chris about it, and she said she used to have a baby O-possom when she was a kid.  It would curl its tail around her finger and hang there. Now that’s some excitement.  Wonder how her O-possum would do in Cailyn’s  personal amusement park?  I don’t know.  I was raised in Galveston.  And I played baseball.  We always had a dog, and we even had a cat, although that seems kind of backwards.  It was more that the cat lived rent-free on or near our property whenever it wasn’t chasing neighborhood dogs or getting into fights with cats bigger than it was.  The cat was crazy.  It was named Bush, after a famous line in some science fiction movie where the character notices plant life for the first time on an arid planet and cries out, “Bush.”  My brothers now claim it was named after the beer, Busch.  But back to the rodents.  I didn’t have time for that sort of thing.  Besides, O-possums and guinea pigs were just high class names for rats as far as I was concerned. 

We are headed to San Antonio for a quick trip today.  Coming back tomorrow evening.  It’s our only chance to see Caleb play T-ball in his first season.  Rookie of the year, I’m certain.

Psalms 34:4 says, “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.”

Father, help me remember to turn to you first when those fears of all shapes and sizes try to creep in.  Amen.

No comments: