Saturday, October 6, 2012

October 6 – “Heart healthy”


I brought my uncle home from the hospital yesterday.  He called around 7:15 a.m. to “put me on notice” that he was planning to come home that afternoon sometime.  It wasn’t until after four that he finally called back to say “I’m back in my room, so you can come any time.”  In an effort to determine with how much haste I should make my way that way, I asked if he had already been released.  His reply was cryptic, “I’m back in my room.  I figure there’s nothing else for me to do here.  That’s close enough.”  OK.  Close enough.  I was in WalMart at the time, so I finished up my purchase (some toner for my printer) and headed on out to UTMB. 

Sure enough, he was packed and ready to go when I arrived.  But they had not yet done his discharge instructions.  We talked while we waited.  He said he was really hungry, but no sooner were the words out of his mouth than his supper tray arrived.  So he munched his way through his roast beef.  Finally the nurse came in with the papers and with his final “shot for the road.”  It was a blood thinner and the needle was stuck into his stomach.  Ouch.  I heard the final instructions: “You are to eat a heart healthy diet and increase your level of physical activity.”  He nodded his uh-huh’s and okay’s, and she approved his release, pending arrival of transportation.  But when she opened the door a wheelchair was already there.  No driver, though.  Apparently budget cuts meant that I got to drive him down.  WooHoo, let’s go.  I managed to behave myself all the way down to the front door, and I left him by the curb and went for the car. 

Finally we were on the road.  Headed home.  Well, at least to our house where his car was parked.  I offered to get Nathan to help me bring it over, but he insisted he hadn’t had any pain killers and he was fine to drive.  As we approached 61st street he made another decision.  He asked me to take him to Jack-in-the Box.  With those final words of the exit interview ringing in my ears – “heart healthy diet … heart healthy diet” – I pulled into the drive-through and he ordered his … ready for this one? … bacon ultimate cheeseburger.  Did I mention that this man was the very first male role model in my life outside of my Dad?  I think I’m getting hungry …

Psalms 33:16-19 says, “No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength.  A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.  But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.”

Father, help Uncle Jerry heal quickly.  Amen.

No comments: