Friday, October 5, 2012

October 5 – “Rehearsing”


Yesterday was the wedding rehearsal of a fire fighter buddy of Nathan’s.  He asked me to do the ceremony and Nathan is one of the groomsmen.  The wedding is not until Saturday afternoon, though.  The whole affair will take place at the groom’s parents’ house somewhere in the middle of nowhere outside of Santa Fe (That’s Santa Fe, Texas, not New Mexico).  It is actually a very pretty venue.  They own lots of land, and it is all very well-kept.  The ceremony is scheduled to be at the side of a large pond under a canopy homemade from tree limbs and such.  Then the reception will be under a big tent they have rented for the occasion.  That is, if the big cold front that is expected to sweep through with high winds and cold temperatures doesn’t blow the whole thing away.  Now that would be a spectacle for Funniest Wedding Videos.  Hope someone brings a video camera just in case.  The groom already told me that even if that happens, the three of us are still going to be standing out there by that pond.  He is definitely ready for the whole thing to be over with. 

They do have a wedding coordinator.  That’s always a potential headache for someone.  I have worked with some in the past that have been virtual slave-drivers, pushing and demanding like it was their own wedding.  Others, though, like the ones at the San Luis Hotel that I work with, are great to work with and have become friends.  This one was somewhere in the middle, I guess.  She had her moments when it was evident that somewhere inside her lurked that inner ogre just struggling to get out.  For the most part, though, she maintained control quite well.  She got everyone placed out by the pond, then got distracted by a question from a bystander.  I seized my chance to race through the service itself and let the wedding party know what I would be doing.  I finished in record time, so when she turned back to us she was amazed that we had been waiting for her.  We’ll see how she does when the chips are down come Saturday afternoon.

I missed the rehearsal dinner because we had our home group Bible study last night.  Cailyn joined us for home group so her mom could go with Daddy to the dinner at Luigi’s, a very nice restaurant here in Galveston.  Nathan called at 9:30 to check on her.  They had not yet been served their food.  I could have just gone over then, I guess.  But I don’t like to eat that late at night.  Getting too old for rapid digestion.  Cailyn ended up just spending the night, so I don’t know how late they stayed.  That’s another “getting too old for” thing – staying up late at night.  My body has completely rest for waking up at 6 a.m.  That means it’s ready for bed around ten, though.  I’m becoming my father.

Psalms 33:13-15 says, “From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth — he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.”

Father, watch over the preparations for that wedding.  And maybe hold back the severity of that cold front just a bit until we can get it done.  Thanks.  Amen.

No comments: