Thursday, October 4, 2012

October 4 – “Attention span of a gnat”

I headed out west to pick up some things for Uncle Jerry at his house in Spanish Grant.  He was hoping to get out of the hospital yesterday, but he had some mail to get out and needed a check.  He also wanted me to bring him some more copies of the book he wrote.  He apparently found a new market among the hospital personnel.  Or maybe the other patients.  About the time I got nearly to WalMart he called to let me know he was staying in the hospital until at least Friday.  He found out he has to have a colonoscopy.  Apparently one of the top causes of blood clots is colon cancer.  None of the other tests he has had point to colon cancer, but when you are grasping at straws I guess you have to try everything.  I turned into the WalMart parking lot and headed back to his house again to get him some fresh clothes for the next few days. 

As I was leaving the hospital I ran into an old friend from high school.  OK, not that she is particularly old.  After all she was in my class so she is my age.  Wait.  I guess that means she is old, but don’t tell her that.  Actually Charlotte looked great.  We talked for a long time about her Mom who is going through Alzheimer’s stuff.  Her mom even goes to Libbie’s Place.  It’s always good to talk to someone who understands what you are going through. 

Last night I taught the youth group at church again.  There were two junior high girls and one early high school girl there this time.  Junior high.  Gotta love ‘em.  They have always been my favorite group to deal with.  Guess it’s because I’m so much like them.  Attention span of a gnat, but so much fun.  So unexpected.  They don’t even know where they are going next, so they are impossible to predict.  I’ve found that the best approach is to follow them into their madcap world wherever it leads and interact with them there.  It’s a whole lot easier to lead them back to the topic at hand than it is to yell at them from afar and try to maintain their attention.  Besides, they hear and retain a lot more than they are given credit for.  It can be a slippery slope, though.  You have to maintain a firm grip on whatever is left of your own sanity so you can actually make the point and assure them that Jesus can live in there, too.  Kind of like being a spy living with a cover identity.  Great challenge.  Great fun. 

Psalms 33:12 says, “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance.”

Father, I guess that says it all as far as politics goes.  Amen.

No comments: