Friday, December 9, 2011

December 9 – “Princess”

 
 
Cailyn got quite creative the other day when she was over.  I watched her play with Chris, and I was never more thankful that it was Chris she was playing with.  They were having a princess dress-up day.  Now don't think I don't know what a princess dress-up day is like.  I have indeed been involved in one.  The results were not at all pretty for me.  In my case "dressing up" meant dancing like a ballerina in the kitchen.  It didn't work in any other room of the house.  Just the kitchen.  I think in the grand schematics of the palace that obviously exists inside Cailyn's head, the kitchen was the "Princess dancing room."  I must say, though, I made quite a good dancer.  But that is a story for another time.
 
"Princess dress-up" had an entirely different meaning when Nani was involved.  Cailyn was the princess and she came up with the fashion plan for the day.  And to Chris' credit, she convinced Cailyn to be the princess, saving her the honor of modeling said fashion.  When I walked in Cailyn was wearing the blue jeans she arrived in plus another pair of leggings pulled on over them.  Thankfully, when I started to ask her what in the world she was doing with two pairs of pants on, Chris caught my eye with one of those married people looks, so I held my tongue.  All I ended up doing was pointing at her.  The pants were enough, but the crowning glory was the royal tiara on her head.  She had carefully spread out a baby wipe and had it clipped to her hair in several places.  Now that was a picture I wish I had.
 
Speaking of pictures, Cailyn was here during our life group meeting last night.  She had had a good nap, so she was "on" the whole evening.  At one point she got a bit rambunctious, so Chris took her into the princess dancing room which had now become, unbeknownst to Chris, the princess hair salon.  And this time there was no talking her out of it.  Cailyn was the salon master and Chris was the customer.  They were very quiet the whole time the work was in progress, and by the time we finished Bible study, the masterpiece was accomplished.  Chris was sitting on the floor with Cailyn beaming next to her.  Chris had a tiny little pony tail sticking straight up right in front of her head.  And when she turned to the side to talk to one of our guests I saw the rest.  Randomly spaced all about her head were multi-colored hair clips.  And it's not like she could be discreet about it.  Chris has white hair.  It is beautiful.  And it could only be described as colorful, since each clip stood out in this spectacular explosion of glittery purples and browns and pinks.  I did manage to sneak a quick picture of that baby pony tail, but it was with the first Iphone I came to, and it happened to be Chris'.  Now I'll have to find some way to secretly transfer it to FaceBook when she isn't looking.  Wish me luck.
 
Isaiah 29:15-16 says, "Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the Lord, who do their work in darkness and think, 'Who sees us? Who will know?'  You turn things upside down, as if the potter were thought to be like the clay!  Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'He did not make me'?  Can the pot say of the potter, 'He knows nothing'?"
 
Father, help the youngsters in school be able to focus these last few days before their big Christmas break.  And grant their teachers some patience.  Amen.

No comments: