Sunday, December 25, 2011

December 25 – “Christmas Day”

 
 
It has arrived.  Or better, He has arrived.  Happy birthday, Jesus.
 
It was a dreary Christmas Eve in Galveston.  It hovered around 45 degrees all day with torrents of rain working through the area off and on all day.  It would have been fun to see the temperature drop just enough for a repeat of the Christmas Eve snowstorm we had a few years ago, but alas, it was just not to be.  We didn't really have any serious shopping to do.  What we have left will be taken care of sometime Monday or Tuesday.  Not a bad idea, I guess, what with the after-Christmas sales and all.  Chris is already making out her list for gift bags and wrapping paper and all the half price stuff that usually abounds. 
 
We headed out to the Stone's house in Santa Fe around two.  Didn't get there until after three, though.  The wind was howling and the rain was whipping.  One good thing, though.  We discovered that our car has a warning feature on it we didn't know about.  Chris was driving, knuckles clenched on the wheel, eyes peering into the falling rain.  All of a sudden she kind of jumped, just enough to draw my attention from the Youtube videos I was watching of flash mobs.  She asked me if I knew what a certain symbol meant on the console, but it had disappeared by the time I looked.  She kept trying to show it to me for several miles, but I kept missing it.  When I finally saw it I realized right away what it had to be.  I said, "that's a warning that the car is hydroplaning."  Didn't take her long to answer, rather testily I might add, "I know it's hydroplaning.  I can feel it."  Hmm.  Not even a thank you to the car's computer brain for figuring it out and letting her know.  You'd think she was stressed out. 
 
We went straight from the Stone's party to the church for the Christmas Eve service.  It was still raining and cold, so I really didn't expect too many people.  As it turned out, and as has happened many times over the years on Christmas Eve, one family walked in with about twenty people.  They filled up a good two rows.  We knew part of the group from Arlington.  They came down after Hurricane Ike and helped us in the early stages of rebuilding.  Then their college aged son came down in the summer with some friends and stayed here at the house.  They had Grandma and Grandpa and I guess some aunts and uncles with them.  Chris invited them to come by the house and see the results of their labor.  They may stop by before they return home. 
 
It was just eerily quiet around the house when we got home.  Mom went to bed around nine, so Chris and I watched It's a Wonderful Life on TV.  My brother and his wife are supposed to come over later today.  The Kel family and April and Cailyn may be coming tonight for some taco soup.  Nathan is working at the fire station.  For now I guess I should get ready for church.  It is a work day for pastors as well as fire fighters.
 
Isaiah 40:25-26 says, "'To whom will you compare me?  Or who is my equal?' says the Holy One.  Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these?  He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name.  Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing."
 
Father, you brought us some special people last night.  Bring those you want to be in worship today as well.  Amen.

No comments: