Tuesday, December 27, 2011

December 27 – “Sometimes you need some just-for-fun action”

 
 
We watched a movie last night.  Actually, Chris and Mom and I watched one movie.  Then Chris left to do some online shopping after a few minutes into the second one.  Then Mom dozed off.  So I watched two movies.  I went over to Red Box and started my plan to catch up on some of the movies we didn't go see when they were at the theater.  It was a surprisingly long list, too. 
 
First we watched X-Men, First Class.  It was enjoyable, considering I never read X-Men comics.  I stuck with comics that reflected a real world … DC.  Not that I was never exposed to the fanciful world of Marvel (see, even the name suggested its imaginary status).  Kel was big on Marvel when he was a kid.  Wait.  He's still big on Marvel.  But then he never really grew up, did he?  Having him around made it handy when all the new Avenger superhero movies started coming out.  Thor I knew about from mythology class in high school.  Not so much Iron Man, though.  And I wasn't old enough to appreciate Captain America.  I did like his movie, though.  Anyway, it would have been helpful to have a synopsis of the characters in hand before the movie began.  I remembered Professor X as the only bald guy in a wheelchair action figure I have ever seen.  That helped me understand some of the bald jokes that came up.  I knew there was a magnet guy of some kind, and the blue chameleon girl was vaguely familiar as well.  The guy who screamed really loud was the only other one I seemed to recall, probably because his name came up in one of the word origin studies I have done in the past.  Banshee, I think? Couldn't place the devil-looking red guy with the tail at all.  I asked Kel about the guy with the circle thing on his chest and got a lecture about Cyclops being his brother and the two of them being separated as children and each of them thinking the other had been killed in plane crash.  It was dizzying the amount of back story he had filed away in his brain, just waiting for an opportunity to pounce.
 
The second movie was a lot more light-hearted.  Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides.  I'm not sure where it was supposed to fit in the time line of the Pirates movies, but after seeing it I don't think it mattered.  I got particularly interested in this one when they introduced a character who was supposed to be a missionary.  It's always interesting to see if they ever put people like that in a positive light.  It's rare, but it does happen.  And actually I think they did OK with this one.  He stayed consistently in character, even after he fell in love with a mermaid.  Other than that, there wasn't much deep philosophical stuff involved.  Oh, I'm sure there was some stuff I could use as sermon illustrations in the future, but I'll have to watch it again some time to draw those out.  Last night was just for fun.  Sometimes you need some just-for-fun action in your life.  Helps keep you sane.
 
Isaiah 41:10 says, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
 
Father, thank you for the just-for-fun chances to enjoy life that you give us every day.  Amen.

No comments: