Monday, December 26, 2011

December 26 – “Recovery”

 
 
"So have you recovered from Christmas yet?"  What an odd thing to ask after what should be one of the most relaxing, exciting, freeing times of year.  Humans are weird creatures, though.  The stress of good times has almost the same effect as the stress of hard times. 
 
We still have one more "Christmas experience" to go.  Josh and his family won't arrive until sometime Thursday, when Nathan and April and Cailyn also get back from visiting her Dad in Corpus Christi.  The plan is to go to Moody Gardens Festival of Lights that evening, then have our family Christmas time Friday morning.  We'll see how that all works out.
 
Mom didn't make for church yesterday morning.  I guess she was just too worn out from the Christmas Eve activities.  Chris took me out to the church and then came back to help her get ready, as is our usual custom.  But there was no moving her this time.  She had a headache on top of her usual morning aches and pains, so Chris didn't really press the issue too much.  She knew that all the people coming in the afternoon would be challenging enough. 
 
My older brother Jay and his wife Fran came over for a while in the afternoon.  And shortly after they left, Kel and his family descended.  Now the fun begins.  April and Cailyn came, too.  And Nathan even took his two hours of Christmas Day family time to come over for supper as well.  It was wild and crazy, as usual.  We played some Pokemon card game that Jachin got.  I still had no idea how to play, but he walked me through it.  And I won the game.  He was amazed because he beat his Dad three games in a row.  Don't ask me what my secret was.  I still have no idea how to play.  I never even heard of the creatures whose pictures were on the cards.  Jachin had already developed a scenario, though, where I could become the champion of my family and he would be the champion of his family.  Then he would defeat me one last time and become the all-star.  You got it, Jachin.  You are already the all-star in my book.
 
We also continued our ongoing game of family tag.  I have no idea where that originally started – sometime when we were babysitting, I guess.  But now anytime we get together the game automatically resumes.  Sometimes it's difficult to get the more subdued family members to join in, but we finally got Aunt April going yesterday.  One of these days she'll loosen up, and when that happens, Jachin you better run for cover.
 
Isaiah 40:28-31 says, "Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
 
Father, grant some of that flying energy to those who are particularly stressed out this Christmas.  Amen.

No comments: