Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1 – “Maggifwy gwass”

 
 
Cailyn has another new word to mystify and amaze her parents and grandparents with.  Maggifwy gwass.  It all started with that weird children's show she watches, Caillou.  I still don't know who would name a kid Caillou.  What language is that, anyway?  But as I have said before, Caillou is her Sesame Street, her Mr. Rogers, her Captain Kangaroo.  At least for this month. 
 
So apparently Caillou carries around a tool to help him examine very tiny things.  And Cailyn happened to discover one of those very things on my shelf the other day.  It took a while for me to understand what it was she was saying when she scrunched her nose up, cocked her head to the side just a bit, placed one foot in front of her and her hands on her hips, and very slowly, very deliberately formed the words – "Maggifwy gwass."  Well, of course that's it.  Magnifying glass. 
 
This particular magnifying glass is a carry-over from my own childhood (Although I don't remember Mr. Caboose ever using one. I'll have to ask Chris if she ever saw one on Kitirik).  It also survived Hurricane Ike, so it's kind of banged up.  It is also made of glass, so she does have to be careful with it.  It is fun to watch her look through it and see her eyes grow to grotesque sizes and shapes.  I don't know what it is she is seeing, but it must be entertaining for her as well. 
 
I set up the Netflix for Kids so she could watch an episode of Caillou, and she remembered the maggifwy gwass.  She just had to have it, or the experience of watching the show just wouldn't be the same.  I got it down for her and told her she would have to stay on the rug with it.  Dutifully she sat down and reached for the day's most significant artifact.  And she did pretty well.  I got educated about Caillou's preferred spot to carry his version, though.  It seems that the proper place to store and carry a maggifwy gwass is in your back pocket.  Makes perfect sense.  Caillou does it.  And we all want to be like Caillou, right? 
 
Isaiah 25:1 says, "O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago."
 
Father, help us want to be like you.  Amen.

No comments: