Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 11 – “Audit”

 
 
Fun times ahead for the holiday season at the Vaughan house.  We just got a letter from the Internal Revenue Service saying they want to look a bit more closely at our tax return for the year 2009.  WooHoo. 
 
I talked to our accountant, and he said that as audits go, this is one of the best kinds to have.  They asked for several specific things, and he told me under no circumstances was I to give them more than they asked for.  Thankfully, I do have a huge pile of documentation about stuff from that year.  They want receipts for pretty much everything we bought (which, by the way includes, well, everything in our house that wasn't donated to us after Hurricane Ike), as well as travel logs (which I will need to go through to separate out medical mileage from business mileage).  Had they asked for anything from 2008 or before, we would have had some problems.  All of that was all washed away by Hurricane Ike.  Now I just have to find some time in the next three weeks to put together the specific things they want, copy it all, and send it on to them.  Again I say, WooHoo.
 
Last night we had the opportunity to babysit for Kel's kids.  That meant we got to drive into Texas, up to LaMarque.  They had a white elephant party with one of the groups from their church.  We began the evening with a rousing game of tag which, by the way, has strangely become a favorite with Jachin and Micah.  We played last time they were here and I introduced them to the "No tag backs" call.  I got dizzy once when Micah chased me and Jachin around the table about six times.  He only stopped because Josiah joined in the game about that time.  That meant all four of us were running around in circles.  I'm not sure how Chris managed to avoid that one.  I won a bit of a reprieve from tag when I used my turn to tag one of the wise men in their nativity set.  As far as I know, he's still "it."  Watch out for those wise men.  They could pop up anywhere.
 
Isaiah 30:18 says, "Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.  For the Lord is a God of justice.  Blessed are all who wait for him!"
 
Father, thank you for that compassion you show.  Help me to show it, too.  Amen.

No comments: