Wednesday, October 22, 2008

September 28 - “It’s Sunday”

 It’s Sunday.  Time for church, right?  But if we go to church we lose at least half a day of work on the house.  What if there is something else we could salvage?  One more thing that’s not covered with mold?  And inspectors.  We’re still waiting on the FEMA guy to call.  Flood guy came yesterday.  Windstorm guy is due between one and three today.  Wait a minute!  Deep breath.  Let me start again.

 It’s Sunday.  For the first time since the storm we have a chance to get together with the Body of Christ – with Seaside – with that family.  Sam’s hugs and Lora Pat’s grins and Kelly’s blushes and Mike’s big-hearted emotionalism and the Geswender donuts and Mildred’s encouraging words, and on and on.  How could I miss it? 

 And it was all those things and more.  We met in the church parking lot – about thirty of us.  A youth praise team from University Baptist Church in Clear Lake brought their instruments and a generator, and led us in some great worship songs.  We said the Lord’s Prayer and talked about community and shared communion.  We did hug a lot and cry a little.  And no one really wanted to leave.  It was … nice.  Nothing huge or dramatic fits to describe it.  Not earth-shattering.  Just really nice.  I sure needed it.  We all needed it.  It gave new meaning for me to Hebrews 10:25, “Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another.”

 We did go back to the house today.  Back to work.  It was definitely a let-down after the sweetness of the morning.  We didn’t get much done.  For Chris it was a cry day.  For me it was more of a walk-around-and-look-at-ruined-stuff day.  I think deep down I was crying right along with Chris, but if I stayed busy – or at least looked busy – I could stay the strong, macho, husband-guy and not cry like a baby (which is what I felt like doing much of the time).

 At times like this, when I feel overwhelmed, I for one (and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone), tend to revert to the familiar.  That’s why church is so important.  That’s why we prayed the Lord’s Prayer.  That’s why … no.  That’s enough.  Let me just do it again.  And again …

 Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come.  Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.  Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.  For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever and ever.  Amen.

No comments: