Saturday, October 25, 2008

October 25 – “Men in Skirts”

First thing this morning we stopped at the house to check on a crack in the ceiling that I had seen awhile back.  It appeared to have developed a companion crack, so I wanted to get in the attic and check it out.  Sure enough, that crack that started small – the one we never really did anything about - was gradually getting bigger and bigger.  I sure hope the sheetrock guy saw it the other day.  That'll make a big difference in the bottom line if we have to add a ceiling-full of sheetrock.  Sin is like that.  Left alone it gradually takes up more and more space in your life, more and more time, more and more interest.  Often it gathers around it others who are committed to that sinful activity.  It's easier to sin when "everybody's doing it."  And when sin has been around awhile, there is only one way to get rid of it – kill it.  Die.  1 Peter 2:24 says, "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed."

 

We went up to the church building to clean, get set up for Sunday, and greet the youth group from Louise, Texas.  They were coming to do some relief work in Galveston, and asked Seaside to host them for the day.  Interesting thing about this group.  They drove from wherever Louise is, through Surfside – that's Surfside – storm-ravaged Surfside – no-longer-a-road-to-Galveston-from-there Surfside – to get here.  It took them longer than they expected, since they had to travel around huge holes in the road.  But when they got here they were excited and ready to get to work.  The road of life is pretty tough sometimes.  Hurricanes and floods and broken relationships and disappointments and discouragements.  But in the long run – if we can just hold out – the rewards are great.  And guess what the rewards are?  We get to work!  Here on earth we get to help direct people as God draws them to himself.  Then when we get to heaven we get to work again.  That "work" will be called worship, and we'll love it.  James 1:12 says, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

 

We didn't get to spend much time with the Louise group.  We had to go to a wedding in Houston.  When the bride called to set it up, I asked her what she wanted me to wear.  She said a suit would be fine, and I said, "OK.  I'll find out tomorrow if I have one."  After a long pause, she asked, "Are you serious?"  I sure was.  We had turned my only suit over to the cleaners for them to try to get the "Ike Juice" off.  I did get the suit back and I did wear it (Yes, I do wear a suit on occasion – weddings and funerals).  And speaking of clothes, when we arrived at the little restaurant that the couple had rented (they rented all of it), I noticed something unusual right away.  I asked Chris, "Are these a group of refugees from Galveston?"  "No," she replied.  "Why do you ask that?"  "Well, all the men are wearing skirts, so I thought maybe they didn't have enough refugee pants to go around."  I got hit.  So, have you figured out that the men were in kilts?  There was also a bagpipe player.  The ceremony had a Scottish flair to it.  I felt like I was surrounded by Andy Stevenses (Some of you Seasiders remember Andy, the bagpiper, don't you?).  The groom's daughter was wearing the family plaid, and when the ceremony ended, she handed her Dad a scarf in the family colors.  He then presented it to his bride to welcome her into the clan.  Quite an impressive few seconds of tradition.  Made me think of Jesus when he said in Matthew 5:17-19, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

 

We stopped on the way home to see some old friends from the very first church I worked in way back yonder.  Faithful friends are the best.  Guess what they gave us?  A bag of apples.  Fresh fruit.  Now who would have thought to give a bag of fruit to someone whose only experience with fruit for six weeks has been the little mystery fruit cups from the relief teams?  And then we had dinner with some brand new friends from Palo Pinto, Texas.  Ferel is a pastor there, and when he heard about the storm and its effect on my family, he began calling me just to talk.  We "met" each other's families over the phone.  We talked about life in beautiful, downtown, county-seat Palo Pinto and about life in not-so-beautiful Galveston.  It was good to finally meet him and his real-life family face to face.  Did you hear what he offered us?  Friendship.  And he followed through on the offer.  He was consistent in his calls.  He was incredibly encouraging.  He didn't try to do or be anything he could not or was not.  He just communicated friendship.  It impacted me.  It still does.  And it will when you do it with your neighbor or the person you work with.  Be a friend.  Prove you mean it.  Earn the right to share the things that mean the most to you.  And make Jesus the "Most" of the most.  Remember the parable in Matthew 25:40 when King Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

 

Father, thanks for nailing me with your machine gun of truth today.  I needed it.  Amen.

 


No comments: