Wednesday, October 22, 2008

September 24 - “Going Home”

I've been posting journal pages from a few days back, trying to slowly catch up.  But today I need to send out, well ... today's!  So here goes:

Going home.  Wow, that has a totally different feel to it right now.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm a BOI.  I love Galveston.  But what does it look like now, really?  I don't mean the overhead helicopter shots, or the government satellite photos, or the media's hyped-up "trail of debris into hurricane-ravaged, Ike-torn Galveston."  I mean what does my part of that world look like?  Gulf Village.  Jamaica Beach.  Seaside.  Wal Mart.  JB's.  When will the Whiteman's be back?  And the Kunz's?  And Lanny?  And Corey?  And Hutch?  And Sam?  Did the Texas Baptist Men ever get set up at Seaside and the fire department building?  Did Steve Spicer and the rest of the volunteer fire department ever get their clothes washed?  Is the ragweed in Galveston as bad as it is up here?  (Christina and I can't stop sneezing!).  That reminds me, do we have any kleenex to take back with us?  Hey, that's one of those brand names turned common names we talked about at SCA.  When will we get that started back up?  Where exactly are we going to sleep tonight?  I appreciate University Baptist in Clear Lake for offering to take us in.  How can we best set up for the parking lot service Sunday with no sound system?  Will anybody come?  God will be there!  Where will begin our home salvage operation?  Is there anything worth salvaging?  How hard will it be to connect with insurance adjusters?  Who will help us clean up and restart?  Who will need our help?  What about food?  Is Kroger really open?  Do they have ice?  How about milk?  How protected do we need to be when we clean the houses?  I'm sure going to miss seeing my three grandsons every day.  Are Kel and Christina going to be OK?  Starbucks is opening, but what about East End Preschool?  It feels weird to think about leaving my Mom and our dogs behind in Mansfield.  The believers here in Mansfield have been amazing in taking care of us, feeding us, loving on us.  How are the firefighters and police officers holding up, really?  There is so much to do.  What will Philippians 4:13 look like ("I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength")?

Read here a deep sigh, or a long whistle, or a stifled moan.  Welcome to this tiny glimpse of what I have been living with inside my head this past week!  We face uncertainty.  There are more questions than answers right now.  We are returning, but we're just not sure.  So hang on to Jesus, to each other, and to promises like this:  Of this I am sure ... "If God is for us, who can be against us? ... Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword> ... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any power, neither height not depth, nor anything else in all creation , will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:31-39)

Father, we’re going home.  We don’t know what that looks like right now, but we’re trying to remember that home is where family is, where you are.  Please be there to welcome us when we get back.  Amen.

No comments: