Wednesday, October 22, 2008

October 1 - “October Memories”

 So it’s really October, Huh?  Oh, well, that’s one day closer top the end of hurricane season.  Not that that seems to matter much any more.  We found out today that our friends and next door neighbors will for sure be moving.  They just don’t want to deal with it any more.  I’m not even sure they’re planning to fix their house.  Sounds like they’ll offer it “as is,” take the money and move to New Mexico or somewhere where it doesn’t flood.  It’s hard to blame them.  Rumors are already beginning to surface about our neighborhood: mass condemnations.  Requirements to build on stilts. 

 It is depressing when I think about our neighborhood’s “past glory.”  I did, after all, grow up here.  I remember playing “first one under” the streetlight at Cypress and Sycamore.  I remember rousing night time games of “kick the Can” and “I Hope I Don’t Meet the Ghost Tonight.”  I remember playing full-team baseball games (with a rubber ball, of course) over in the grassy field at Zion Lutheran before they added on their fellowship hall.  I remember waffle ball home run derby and “Save the Home Run” in Mom’s back yard.  I remember dressing up as my history teacher and going trick-or-treating one last time.  I remember the Biffles and Whitemans and Cagnolas and Cooks and Kunz’s and Farrells and Whites.  I remember Rodney and Randy, Robert and Philip, Gary, Mike, Donna, and Cindy.

 I was gone for awhile, but I came back with my wife and kids.  We bought the Cagnola’s house, and a whole new set of memories began.  Now we were giving away candy on Halloween.  The kids have different names, but somehow they seem to know (and pull!) the same tricks we used to.

 It was somewhere in the midst of this historical reverie that Josh called.  He asked the usual How-are-you and Are-you-getting-rest questions.  And I gave him the usual Just-fine and You-bet answers, thankful for the break from work, but honestly wondering how long it would take to get back at it.  That’s when he put on his best “pastor voice” and said, “Dad, I didn’t want to have to pull the Bible card on you.” (Yes, he really said that).  “But we’re worried about you and Mom.”  (Who’s “we”?  Must be the “Brothers” and he’s the spokesman.  Some things never change).  “It’s been seven days since you left here to go home.”  (Unbelieveable.  I was getting the Sabbath Rest” speech.  From my own kid).  “We think you should drive north instead of south.  Go to a real restaurant instead of a Red Cross truck.”

 So, did we head north to Cracker Barrel for breakfast, or Saltgrass for lunch?  Well, no.  We actually worked harder than we had in several days.  So does that mean “Josh and the boys” were wrong?  Well, no.  There’s the rub.  They were very right.  They spoke the truth and we need to listen to them.  We need to make the time.

 Have you ever heard the old saying, “out of the mouths of babes come the wisest words”?  Well, it’s actually from Psalm 8:2, “From the mouths of children and infants you have ordained praise.”  In our case it was wisdom from our children calling us to stay refreshed enough to give praise to God.  Hmmm.

 Father, I confess that I am tired and I need to rest.  I want to be refreshed so my praise will be meaningful to you.  I love my boys.  Thank you for sticking them in my face when I need it.  Amen.

No comments: