Wednesday, October 22, 2008

September 14 - “The First Sunday”

Sunday.  The first Sunday after Ike, and we're not at Seaside.  We're not even in Galveston.  We have heard from some people directly.  We've heard about others indirectly.  As far as I can tell everybody made it through the storm and is safe - separated and scattered throughout Texas and Louisiana - but safe.

We went to church up here.  I used to be a minister in this church - South Oaks Baptist - and we still have many friends here.  "We went to church."  Actually, that's not quite accurate.  Maybe, "We gathered with the church."  Yes, that's better.  The church is people, remember?  And people were there.  Just as people of God were there - wherever Seasiders ended up.  I hope everyone found a place to connect with God and other believers.

We met with hugs and tears and shock and "what-do-you-say?'s"  The kindness and tenderness shown to us before the service ever began was almost more than we could handle.  And then the singing began.  The very first chorus raised a lump in my throat.  That's a guy's way of saying I was doing everything I could to keep from crying.  Then I looked over at Chris.  She was crying.  And singing.  So I joined her - on both counts.  (But I don't think anybody saw me.  I was pretty discreet about wiping my eyes).

I honestly don't remember much about the sermon.  I guess I was still reeling from the turbulent swirl of emotion we were in the middle of.  They finished up with a traditional "pass-the-plate" offering time.  Then the pastor got up for what I assumed would be "the usual" announcement time.  Instead, he called the ushers back in, offering plates still in hand, and said, "We have taken up the offering for today.  Now we are going to "lift" an offering.  Seaside Church in Galveston couldn't meet today, so we are going to take their offering for them."  Now, that was another shock.  The plates went around, and they now have a designated fund in their balance sheet "for Seaside's pastor to use to help his family and Seaside any way he can."

Yes, I was choked up.  I was watching a snippet of New Testament Christianity take place before my eyes.  Seaside was the needy church in Jerusalem, and the churches from afar were taking an offering to help us hang in there, keep going, not give up.  Wow!

Now, I would have been OK, I think, but after the offering the pastor asked me to pray.  And before I managed to choke out my words of thanks to God, I did manage to "correct" one thing he had said.  Seaside did meet today.  Not together.  Not in Galveston.  But Seasiders were meeting God today.  In Austin.  In Houston.  In Belton.  In Waco.  In San Antonio.  In Mansfield.  In Santa Fe.  In Louisiana.  Seasiders were alive and well, and we will be back!

"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household."  (Ephesians 2:19).

Father, thank you for putting believers all over the place so we can connect with them and with you.  We ache to be together again - at home again.  Grant us your peace ... your patience.  Amen.

No comments: