Wednesday, October 22, 2008

September 23 - “The List”

We heard from Nathan again today.  He was helping us to prepare for our return to Galveston – to our town that was just not the same any more in many, many ways.  He had me make a list, and he went over it with me twice.  I know, I know.  Read here a brief interlude into “Santa Claus is coming to town.”  But he really did make sure I wrote everything down.  Waterproof leather gloves.  Disposable hospital gloves.  Waterproof boots.  R95 or N95 approved face masks (whatever that means).  Flip flops for if you have to use a public shower (now that got Chris’ attention).  Extra-strength garbage bags.  Hand sanitizer – “and tons of it.”  Food and Water.  Boxes for what you can salvage.  And the list went on and on.  I finally asked him, “So what are you really saying about what we can expect when we get there?”  I was kind of joking with him to lighten his mood, but he replied, “Dad, the fire department answer for that is: rats and raw sewage.  Seriously.  That’s what you have to communicate to Mom.  Rats and raw sewage.”  (OK.  That got myattention!). 

As we talked about “the list” and the “rats and raw sewage,” comment, a lady from Josh’s church demanded a copy of the list, and said she would “get on right away.”  Well, “get on it” she did.  She sent an email, made some calls, and before we knew it she was driving up with a pickup truck load of supplies.  Most of the stuff on the list.  Toilet paper.  Paper towels.  Toothbrushes.  Toothpaste. (Her husband is a dentist!).  Disposable “hazmat” suits.  A generator extension cord.  And then, to our amazement, she handed us the keys to the truck.  “Keep it as long as you need it.  It will do more good in Galveston than in our garage.”

Yes, I was stunned – again.  But as they pointed out, they were doing what they could do.  I remembered one of the little cards that I used to have taped to the desk I used to have at home: “Don’t do nothing because you can’t do it all.  Do what you can do.”  And when you are “doing,” remember Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

Christ, strengthen me.  Looks like I have a lot to do in a not-so-fun environment.  I’m pretty sure I’ll need you.  I need you know, just thinking about it.  Amen.

No comments: