Tuesday, April 26, 2022

April 26 – “Tracking the code”

Yesterday was a fire department day.  It has been a while since I had a chance to check in with the different stations all at once.  Well, almost all.  It started out because I needed a code from the Central station admin office to activate the app on my new phone so it will receive alerts when calls go out.  I touched base with the big chief and the other top dogs as well as the crew that was on duty.  They offered me a homemade chocolate chip cookie.  Couldn’t refuse that, now, could I?  The crew had to leave right away to install some smoke detectors, so I headed out as well.  Next stop was station 2, out East.  The crew there was chatting outside about politics and such, when the Central guys pulled up to borrow a ladder.  That was my first chance to see one of the new trucks in action.  Well, not in fire-putting-out action, but being driven, at least.  Really nice vehicles.  Then at station 5 I had a long chat with the captain about our vacation trip to Utah.  Seemed to be some interest there in duplicating some of our action.  I also got to see the other new truck and hear some of the specific difference between the new and old.  My final stop was at station 4.  That’s my neighborhood station, so it is always great to see those guys.  Even got to talk about Jesus.  Always a plus.

 

Back at home I helped Chris out a little in the yard.  She had the front flowerbeds almost totally cleaned out.  I went in behind her and trimmed the bushes in there.  A little more work, but definitely needed.  Then we tag-teamed raking the front yard.  We wanted to get that done before the rain started.  And start it did.  And then continued raining hard off and on for several hours.  Our grass and bushes and plants sure needed that one. 

 

We closed out the evening with watching the Astros lose to the Rangers’ two new half a billion-dollar shortstops.  I’m not sure I understand the Astros manager’s pitching decisions in this one.  Bringing in not one, but three pitchers who are essentially minor leaguers when the score is just 2-1?  Sigh.  Guess that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. 

 

Romans 5:3-5 says, “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”

 

Father, once again I ask that you watch over our fire guys as they carry out their day-to-day shifts.  Keep them safe and healthy and happy.  Amen.

No comments: