Tuesday, April 19, 2022

April 19 - “Off with honors”

I spent my morning working on some Thursday Bible study prep. We have two meetings before our next trip. Possibly a study on angels? Or just continue right on into Ruth?  

 

Late morning, we left to go to a funeral for Ed Jackson, a longtime Seasider. The service was at the Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Houston. Ed was honored by a live playing of taps (not an easy task), a folding and presentation of an American flag by the Navy, a presentation by a veterans’ group, a presentation of a Texas flag by Pasadena police officers (Ed was a policeman there for many years), and another presentation that came from a lady we had no clue who she represented.  Me and the other pastor chose the same verse from John about Jesus preparing a place in heaven for us and coming back to get us. Good thing, since we were only allowed 20 minutes for the entire service. I just prayed, then closed with what Ed always said to me … Go Astros! 

We went to his daughter’s church for lunch after the ceremony. That was all the way up in Tomball. It made for a long way back south to home. 

 

On the way back, we kept track of Jachin’s baseball game. Bad guys won 7-1, but he got to pitch a few innings.  Then we stopped in Friendswood to watch Cailyn’s junior high team play soccer. Bad guys won there, too - 5-0.   Cailyn played the whole game at center midfielder. No matter the outcome, I am still proud of my Vaughan athletes.

 

John 14:1-3 says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”

 

Father, please watch over Ed’s family as they walk through grief. Welcome Ed into one of those special places you’ve been working on. Amen.

No comments: