Friday, December 6, 2019

December 6 – “Symptoms of the Season”


I was afforded the privilege of assisting Chris in a most difficult endeavor yesterday.  Last night was our home group meeting night, so she knew she was under the gun to clear out all the Christmas boxes.  That meant her house decoration frenzy had to kick into high gear.  And … it did.

We located manger scenes all over the house.  Little Praying Santa figurines popped up everywhere as well.  We spent a long time rearranging things on our bookcases so the Precious Moments manger scene figurines would fit.  The crèche I got in Jerusalem found its spot on one of the shelves.  Manger scenes depicting the Christ Family in numerous other cultures are peppered in as well.  Eskimo.  Mexico.  Peru.  It’s a fascinating walk through Christmas around the world.  The figurines are made from glass and plaster and pewter and olive wood and there is even the one I carved out of pine.  That would be the one with the massive-winged angel.  They are everywhere. 

My desk acquired a vase full of holly.  The little table by the front window holds a junior-sized Christmas tree.  There is a fire fighter Santa Claus on my shelf.  Fisherman Santa is hanging out in the bathroom.  Two or three stuffed Christmas bears are patrolling the grounds.  And of course three are wreaths hanging out in strategic locations. 

Chris has declared the area officially ready for Christmas.  The garage is stacked high with empty and partially-filled boxes of stuff that didn’t make the display cut this year, so I guess that’s a symptom of the season as well. 

Oh, and one other symptom that assures me the season has definitely arrived.  I cut my finger yesterday working on the annual Christmas carving for Chris.  Happens every year in varying degrees of ouch.  This one was a pretty good one.  Dripped blood on the floor on my way to the sink to wash it.  Didn’t go get stitches though, so I guess that’s a good thing.  Merry Christmas …

Matthew 23:11 says, “The greatest among you will be your servant.”

Father, looks like we are welcoming in the Advent Season with a bang.  Bring on Christmas … Amen.

No comments: